Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 1200 CEB/SEB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by namrok, Oct 24, 2005.

1. namrok

namrok

Sep 19, 2005
    Wayne, PA
    Hi,

Anyone have any experience with either of these GK models. GK has no info on them at all. You :bassist: would think they would have something in their archives....
    Thanks in advance, Dave

2. spooner2112

spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va
    I own a GK 1200 SEB which I bought new circa 1990. At the time, I didn't know anything about higher-end bass gear, and it was the first quality bass amp I ever bought.

In terms of pure tone, it may still be the best sounding bass head I have. It's a bit under-powered, however, for some of the gigs I play. So these days I only use it as a back-up (since it's so small and light), or for the rare occasions in which I record in a studio.

If it had a dedicated power amp output, I'd probably get a power amp and use it as a preamp.

Do you have one of these rare amps?

3. namrok

namrok

Sep 19, 2005
    Wayne, PA
    Spooner,

Many thanks!

I just bought one used at a Guitar Center (cheap, $100). It looks like it has had quite a bit of use, but all works perfectly, and sounds excellent. I would like to get a manual, but GK has no info on this model. Not sure how the compressor and limiter controls work. Couldn't you use the line out (actually, aren't they stereo?) to a power amp(s)? I was concerned about reliability since GK stopped making these.

Much appreciated
    Dave

4. spooner2112

spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va
    Dave,

Yeah, I have thought about using the DI out into a power amp, but I'm too ignorant to know whether that makes technical sense. I know that my Ampeg SVT3-Pro has a dedicated power amp output in addition to the line out, so I assume there is some sort of difference.

I think the limiter clips any high input spikes, and the compressor also tends to "even" the tone. I would use these for a good slap tone, but since I never slap, I only add a little compressor when I use the amp.

Reliability may be an issue if you push this head too hard. Mine fried about 2 years after I bought it, and it took a very competent repair shop months to fix it because they said it was rather unique and complicated. Since then I've been careful not too crank it too much, and it's been fine.

For $100, I think that's a great deal. Mine cost about $800-$1000 when I bought it new in 1990.