Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 1200SEB - should I keep it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by namrok, Oct 11, 2005.

1. namrok

namrok

Sep 19, 2005
    Wayne, PA
    Hi,

I am new to this site and am loving it!

I just bought a GK 1200SEB used at Guitar Center for $100. It works perfectly, quiet, powerful, compressor, limit, tons of EQ, chorus, stereo out, effects loop (foot pedal switch controllable, etc, etc. Sounds great too.

My question, GK does not support this amp and I cannot find any info on it. Any input on its reliability, etc would be much appreciated. I have 30 days to decide whether or not I want to keep.

Many thanks, Dave

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Hi Namrok, welcome to TalkBass!

I have two older GK amps--an '87 400RB head (original owner) and an '88 200MB combo. When I have had problems with them the factory in Stockton, CA has been very helpful. They fixed a problem in the 400RB's boost circuit that local techs/"experts" claimed to have fixed but were unable to actually repair. I have done hundreds of gigs/rehearsals since the 400RB was repaired at the factory and it has performed flawlessly.

I haven't seen him post lately but Daniel Elliott is a TalkBass member who is/was a GK customer service rep. He was responsive to my problems and set me up with factory service that was quick, effective and inexpensive. Only thing is that certain parts for older amps may no longer be available.

Probably the most common ailment on older GKs is an intermittent crackle/loss of signal caused by oxidation in the FX send/return jacks. Cleaning these (and all the other jacks) with a good contact cleaner (like Caig De-Oxit) will usually fix the problem.

You can get schematics/service manuals at http://www.musicparts.com/products.asp?Company=Gallien-Krueger

Hope this helps.

3. namrok

namrok

Sep 19, 2005
    Wayne, PA
    Winston,

Thanks for the response. Schematics are not even available from GK. I received the following response. The amp sounds great and only weighs about 10 lbs.

Many thanks, Dave

"The amp is not nor can it be supported by GK as the parts are no longer available.

Unfortunately I can’t find a user manual for that old product.

Sorry.

Kind regards,"

4. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    By "parts" they apparently refer to chassis parts, and complete circuit boards. All smaller electrical components (resistors, caps, transistors, etc.) are typically not proprietary to any given mfg., and will be available virtually forever. So, if you have a service tech who actually fixes things instead of just swapping full modules/boards, there should be no problem. Unless, of course, there are custom parts, or you break the chassis or a board in half or some such thing . . .

- Tim

5. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    By "parts" they apparently refer to chassis parts, and complete circuit boards. All smaller electrical components (resistors, caps, transistors, etc.) are typically not proprietary to any given mfg., and will be available virtually forever. So, if you have a service tech who actually fixes things instead of just swapping full modules/boards, there should be no problem. Unless, of course, there are custom parts, or you break the chassis or a board in half or some such thing . . .

Myself, I tend to leap on deals like this, since I have not sent anything out for non-warranty work in over 30 years . . . and the folks that actually beleive the "no parts" poop from the factory tend to sell this stuff REALLY cheap . . . .

But, keep in mind, if you keep it and there is a problem, you are on your own to repair, or find someone who can . . . . and the decision comes down to whether you are comfortable with that or not . . . .

- Tim

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 1200 line (there was also a guitar version) came and went quickly, I don't know if they were inherently unreliable or just difficult to manufacture. I've only seen one or two in the flesh over the years, so as GKs go they are quite rare.

You could always open it up and check for signs of damage or repairs. If it's working now then it's held up for over 15 years, I'd call that reliable!

For only $100 it you like the sound, I'd keep it.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I have one of those old "lunchbox" GK's in my garage...the one with the 2 8"....