1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 15 inch cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zbasstringer, Apr 30, 2010.

1. zbasstringer

zbasstringer

Jun 24, 2008
    St. Louis
    Okay talkbass, I have a question for all of you. Right now, I'm trying to sell/trade my Geddy Lee Jazz bass for something else. A man e-mailed me today wondering how much cash he would need to throw in if he traded me 2 15" Gallien Krueger cabs with original EV speakers.

I've read that they are highly regarded, but otherwise, I have no knowledge about them, or how much they would be worth. I asked the seller for information about year, wattage, etc. What do you all, my talkbass friends, know about these cabs? I appreciate any input, especially pictures. Thank you

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've played a few gigs with one of them some years ago. This cabinet had been played hard 6 nights a week for years by a guy who gigged all the time. Still sounded good. I was using it with a GK 800 RB. I think the cab was rated for 200 watts and I had it cranked pretty high with no problems.It put out a pretty fair bit of volume and was clean enough. A pair would sound even better.

I guess it depends on what condition the cabs are in and how much the speakers have been damaged if they have. A recone or replacement will cost you.

I don't have any idea of what you could get for those cabinets if you re sold them. The used market isn't doing so good right now from what I see. People just aren't paying top dollar what with the economy.

3. zbasstringer

zbasstringer

Jun 24, 2008
    St. Louis
    Yeah, condition will be a big factor, because I do not want to be replacing speakers just yet. There is one currently listed on craigslist in St. Louis for $200, and if it's still available, it's been there for about a month, so these cabs may be hard to move at a certain cost. If you look strictly at specs, 200 watts isn't a whole lot in today's world.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Aren't there more than one model of GK 15's? And besides, GL Jazz basses are fetching a premium now, compared to when I bought one 4 yrs ago. Close to a grand, aren't they?

5. zbasstringer

zbasstringer

Jun 24, 2008
    St. Louis
    The cabs are from around 2000.

And unfortunately, I'm haing trouble selling mine for $750. Its from 2002, so it still has the limited edition neck plate and actual block inlays (not painted). It has upgraded Fender/Schaller tuners, it comes with a hardshell case in good shape, and it was setup by Skip Goez, who is very very well known around here in the Lou ($200 lifetime setups).

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    To my knowledge, there are at least three distinct models of GK 1x15 cab on the market today. I wouldn't know how many were on the market in 2000, but I'll bet it was more than one.

The point is that you really need to get more detailed information from the seller, so you can provide it to the TB community. Only then can you get a reasonably accurate response to your questions...

Exactamundo...

MM

7. IIRC there is 3 ceramic 115's and two NEO models right now from G-K?

8. zbasstringer

zbasstringer

Jun 24, 2008
    St. Louis
    It isn't in production anymore. All I know is that it is 200 watts at 8-ohms, and has the EV speaker in it.

9. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I used EVM 15B's for years. Great sounding and punchy, can take alot of abuse. The cabs would be heavy though.

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Ahhhh, but two of those 200w 8ohm EV15L cabs would be a 400w 4ohm rig. Now you're cooking with some gas.

11. zbasstringer

zbasstringer

Jun 24, 2008
    St. Louis
    amen to that.

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Do you need the cabs? Can you test them out? If you do want cabs, what would you buy instead if these were'nt available?

IMO, I wouldn't get them to resell.

13. zbasstringer

zbasstringer

Jun 24, 2008
    St. Louis
    I went ahead and ran the trade because I have a use for the cabs. Now, I plan on selling them, but in the mean time buying a used Carvin setup with an 810 cab. I just couldn't sell that Geddy at all.