GK 2000RB "full range mode only"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toddtodd, Apr 25, 2005.

1. i am looking at buying a GK2000rb
    they guy bought it used and we told it was re wired to "only run in full range mode"
    he said that means that the bi amp feature is disabled and you can only use the high or low and not both.
    he also said it could only power 1 cab..
    thats sounds odd to me, cant i use 2 cabs at 8 ohms each or even 2 cabs at 4 ohms..?
    he said there is only (1) 1/4 out..i can stil use 2 cabs right?

2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That sounds a bit weird to me too. I had a 2000RB (great amp by the way) and all the configurations were done with the bi amp and full range switches on the rear. I ran mine full range bridged into either 4 ohm or 8 ohm loads.

It's possible someone got inside it and rewired it but what would be the point? You do, when using the Speakon bridged mono out, have to make sure your Speakon cable is wired correctly. There should be a label on the back panel showing the connections. If not, check the GK website for the correct wiring.

I'd have a tech look at it to see what's going on.

You'll love the 2000 RB. Once you get used to the controls the sounds are great and there's tons of headroom.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    A bunch of the 2000RB's had transformer and other "issues" which would make them occassionally smoke and need a trip home to GK - mine sure did, and I've read plenty of accounts of the SAME thing happen to many others. I would be VERY suspect that someone tried to rewire something to do and end run around one of the documented problems for that unit.

Personally, I'd avoid it like the plague.
  4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I'd go along with that. The problems with that head have been talked about a lot here.

Especially considering that someone wired this one to do "bridged mode only." I'd be very suspect of that.
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Sorry, "full range mode" only. My bad.
  6. i have GK800RB and it died but it was monster cables fault so they paid for it.
    it went to back to GK and they fixed it all up along with new posts, firmware, and little new rubber feet.
    i am/was looking for something similar but with more power...
    and it seemed like a good deal on this 2000rb but since i posted i keep hearing these are not very reliable...

thanks so far everyone

7. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Todd, it's possible you did get one of the early bad ones. Mine was a good one however and in the 6 years or so I used it (a lot) I never had a bit of trouble with anything. It hardly got warm running bridged mono at 4 or 8 ohms and the headroom was astounding. According to GK's specs it was capable of 750watts bridged at 8 ohms and 1000watts at 4ohms.

I hope you can get it sorted out.