1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 2000RB in storage... thinking about repairing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BluesMan845, Mar 31, 2013.

1. I have a 2000RB that I purchased a while ago. I remember plugging it in for the very first time and sparks and smoke erupted through though front grill of the amp. After which, it seemed to operate fine. A few months later one of the power amps went and I got it fixed under warranty. Then more problems started to pop up with sporadic cut outs and volume drops/spikes. In the end I just bought a new GK 700RBII to replace it but kept the 2000RB since I really loved the sound of it and it had some unique features that haven't been duplicated.

Question is, how many of you had one of these amps and had trouble with it and did you have it fixed and find it became reliable? I remember researching and finding out there was an issue with the GK line during that time period, especially the 2000RB. Problem I see is it's been so long since the amp was discontinued that there may not be parts left for it and I honestly don't know if I would ever feel confident in using it in a live situation.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Send it to GK and let them sort out what the problems are. Then you can keep it or sell it as you choose.

3. They will not fix it, and you will not find a tech to fix it. Sorry, just the raw truth.

Maybe you can find one of these.....

4. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    Put it up on ebay/craigslist cheapish, as is with full disclosure of the issues. Somebody with the technical ability and desire to tinker with it will grab it.

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Why would they not fix the amp?? What is one of these??

And where is B-String when you need him??

6. No reason board level repairs could not be done by a GOOD tech. IIRC G-K does not have any complete spares anymore and don't know if they have time for board level with all production back in California but you could inquire with jason@gallien.com. Jason can also supply schematics or PM me with an email address and I can send you the service manual.
    Should not be problem for a competent amp tech, a lazy one is a different story (I call them parts changers). :)

7. This is what I figured... it's a shame I waited too long to send it in to have it taken care of because back when the amp was still in in my rack they had the parts to fix the issue. Sucks they made a real dud of an amp regarding it's reliability because sound-wise, I feel it's the best thing GK has put out.. at least of the GK amps I've owned which includes:
    800RB, MB150s, 700RB-II

8. There is a lot of them out there still getting it done. Email Jason it can't hurt. ;)

9. It's the amp module. I would only hope someone competent could fix one. Please show me. I took mine to 3 different guys And they were stumped. These amps are 20 ISH years old.