Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 2000RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adam on bass, Mar 22, 2002.

1. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Any problems with or comments about this amp? I need something stereo and LOUD. I own a 400RB and wouldn't trade it for the world. Thanx for comments.

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Everything that I can recall reading about the 1000/2000RB on TalkBass and Harmony Central cited serious overheating and reliability issues. I've heard the same about the early batches of 700 and 1001RB's. It seems a lot of people had thermostat/fan problems that led to meltdowns and frustrating encounters with GK customer service.

I love GK's (I had a 400RB and 200MB in the early 90's) but I'm a little wary about getting a new one until I hear better things about their reliability.

3. Jbass987

Jbass987

Mar 20, 2002
    Rapid City, SD
    I've owned a newer GK 400RBIII for 3 years, Haven't had any trouble with it yet. I like it very much.

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    GK recently did a major redesign of the 2000RB, which is now the 2001RB.

Some components on the 700RB and 1001RB were updated as well.

The new DieselDawg pedal sounds killer.

5. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I had my problems with a 2000 RB and had to depart company. What a nice sounding amp but I had problems with one side going off and with the bridge mono/2 amp..stereo switch on the back. It's not built like a tank, very flimsy. Also had to have the pods cleaned too often in my book to prevent "scratching" and noise every time I wanted to tweak the tone. (I've had my current amp for almost 3 years and nada problemo except replaced pre-amp tubes once!)

I also experienced overheating problems which caused it to turn off several times, thank the Bass Gods about 15 minuts before we were done playing rather than the middle of the gig.

Summary, nice power, nice tone, not reliable. I switched to a Sunn 1200 S. More power, a little less tone, Solid as rock reliability. So I switched cabinets and basses to get the tone I wanted. Probably could have just got the GK fixed for less, but now we got the whole package!!!!

LKaye

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I heard and read the same negative comments posted above (search the forum and you come across them).

I can attest that my GK 1001rb has worked flawlessly for the three years since I bought it from Musician's Friend. It's a nice compact amp, with great tone and punch.