GK 2001RB in Bridged mode-clarification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kenvh6, May 22, 2012.

1. kenvh6

kenvh6

May 2, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Can someone please clarify for me. If the amp has 1080 watts bridged, and I hook up 2x800 watt 8 ohm cabs to the bridged speakon outputs (1 cab to 1 output), will each cab get 540 watts? Or will each get 1080 watts? thanks in advance.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Each cab gets 540w.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Don't bridge, it only doubles the chances of blowing drivers. Run dual mono, one cab per channel.

4. Why does bridging the 2001RB double the chances of blowing drivers ?
    I'm trying to learn more about this amp's power.

5. Much higher voltage swing.

In your case I think you are looking for something to pair with a 1515/66. You can still melt any voice coil with a lot of voltage, but that cab doenst mind seeing a lot of power. If you dont want to bridge there are other options out there, for that matter there are better options out there for the power range you are looking for.

6. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Because what happens when you bridge is you double voltage swing, and it's voltage swing that destroys drivers. It's really only useful when driving a high impedance load, like 16 ohms.
    A parallel wired 1515/66 will be driven to full excursion with the same voltage swing as a 15/6, so there's still no benefit from bridging to get more power. The right way to bridge with respect to the way most players cabs are set up is parallel bridging, which doubles current capacity to drive a lower impedance load. But that's not how the vast majority of amps are configured. And this all goes back to the intrinsically flawed use of watts to rate and match amps and speakers. Speakers are driven by voltage swing, amps are voltage sources, and both should be rated accordingly to take guesswork out of the equation.

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Having owned that amp, I would run it bridged mono. I never had any problem even when cranking it into a pair of Bag End S15D's.

If you run dual mono, each cab will only get 240 watts (or 180 if you run them both off the same side). That amp sounds pretty weak running it like that, but it's a monster in bridged mode. You've got enough speaker thermal margin, just listen for overexcursion and back off if needed.

8. kenvh6

kenvh6

May 2, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    All good info. This is why I am asking. I currently use a 1001rb II, which gives me 350 watts per side. I need more power for the type of music I play, punk metal. I love GK. so I was thinking my next logical step would be to consider the 2001. But if running in biamp mode it only gives you 360 watts per. So it doesn't sound like you really get anything more out of that amp at 4 ohms total unless you use it in bridge mode. Am I correct? Or am I reading the output numbers wrong? I have 2 sbx plus cabs, 8 ohms 800 watts each. I don't know much about the tech side of this. I would like to stay with GK stuff because for me the sound is perfect, and i've tried other brands and it's not the same.

9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

If you need more than 700 watts into 8 10" speakers the additional 380 from the bridged 2001RB will not actually do much. If your current setup is not enough you need: 1 Hearing aids. 2 More speakers (run 4 cabs with the 2001RB). Or you may have some weak drivers already in one or both SBX cabs. Newer ported cabs will give more low end output.
    380 watts additional to 700 watts means little. An additional 1000 you might notice? ;)

10. kenvh6

kenvh6

May 2, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Thanks for the info. I can tell you I will need hearing aids at some point with the guitar players we have! I had thought about the ported cabs too. Maybe i'll check into the 410rbh or something. Do you know if Carvin stuff is good? They have a store in L.A. here. They got some pretty powerful setups, but i don't know much about their quality.

11. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    lots of precious info here when talking about tech specs, but in real world it seems to me that you have a problem being heard in your band with your current setup. It seems that you focus on amp power to solve this issue. This is only partially correct. In fact, the best solution, for what I know, could be adding more speakers. This move is absolutely more useful than adding a few more watts going into the same cabs.
    Obviously, if we speculate, we could talk about techinque, type of bass, EQ settings, tell the band to turn down etc. But, if you have to solve your problem acting on your gear, just add more speaker/cone area.

my 2 euros

12. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    You're fixated on power, which is the least important factor where volume is concerned. You can double your power and not hear any difference. Speakers are the limiting factor. That said, with two 410s I can't imagine your not having enough volume. Keep in mind that the first word in the phrase 'stupid loud' is stupid, and you don't want to have your professional career abruptly terminated by deafness.

13. jsz

jsz

Apr 16, 2011
    I run a 2001RB into two 410RBHs. I don't bridge the amp. 240 watts/side may not seem like much, but those RBH cabs are very sensitive, and they are tuned to pump out thunderous low end.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021