1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 2001RB or Fusion 550 w Lakland

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassistloaded21, Apr 30, 2010.

1. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use a 5502 right now and im picking up some GK gear. I cant decide between the 2001RB or the fusion. I cant really try out either before i buy. The tone im going for is a fat deep but growly tone. I do play lots of festivals, outdoor events, some 15,000 plus. Just wondering if the fusion will get me too my tone goals and will it be enough power, or will the tone be too vintagy? I will def need power, but not huge amounts, i have good monitor setups everywhere I play. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues. Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    "fat deep but growly tone"

Yep, that's my Fusion 550.

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    The Fusion is LOOOOOOUD. I cranked mine at my former church once. Ran it through a Neo 410 and Neo 212, and the whole santuary (seats probably 200+) was shaking. I was afraid it would break something, literally. Scary loud. Apparently the 2001 is even louder, which I cannot fathom.

EDIT: yes, the Fusion will get you close to the sound you described. It's very versatile and can sound vintagey or moderny.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own both of these heads, and like the others, I'll go with the Fusion recommendation. It is hella loud, and far more powerful than you might expect from its rated power. We have been experimenting with measuring "burst power" (and incorporated this test methodology in issue #4), and the Fusion 550 has been one of our star performers when it comes to burst/dynamic power. Let's just say that there is a reason the Fusion 550 feels like an 800-watt amp. :ninja: :smug: :cool:

Now, for those who are interested in truly ridiculous power/headroom, the 2001RB certainly delivers! It always puts a smile on my face when I crank it up! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :D I'm thinking of picking up a Neo410 to go along with my Neo212-II so that I can let my 2001RB stretch its legs a bit more. It is a phenomenal amp if you would need to fill very large stages. But don't sell the Fusion 550 short. It has all the power I would actually need, and then some. :cool:

Tom.

5. I've been using a 2001RB for about 3 years now. It's plenty capable of "fat, deep but growly" tone and it will tear your head off with the volume @ 9 o'clock.

Seriously..... you would need a ladder to run out of head room with this amp.

I will mention that I run a SWR I.O.D. through the effects loop to give it extra tube "sparkle & grind" but I feel the 2001RB is plenty warm on it's own.

6. CrUiSeR

CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    Which one of these do you like better by itself?

7. +1 same boat as I own a 550 and a 2001. I run both heads through a 410RBH cab and a 115RBH cab. I have a couple of Neo cabs on the way to give those a whirl.

The 550 is really a great head with tons of tone and lots of headroom. I love it but I did have to send mine back for a warranty repair. The motorized knobs calved. No big deal. every company has warranty issues.

But when I do hook up the 2001 I sure like its tone too. Plus you can hook up 8 cabs or something to the 2001 and a have a monster rig. I have run 2 x 410 and 2 x 115 before and it's seriously over the top. lol