Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 2001RBP PREAMP!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Jul 10, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Sorry I need attention I posted last time but it can't help to try again. Has anyone heard anything about these? Cost... If Available yet...On the GK site it still says coming soon. Please share anything you know. Thanks.

2. yeah, its basically the preamp section of the 2000RB, i think the list price is around $600-$700 or so.

3. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    And I love my 2000rb... but why would you buy just the pre-amp when you could buy a 2000rb for about the same price. Used vs new i guess.

I especially like the boost floor switch. It switches between the 2 boost channels on the face. If you find/buy a 2000rb make sure you get this switch!!!

jam

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Because I could go the Pre/Power amp route and it would save some bucks. I'm partial to buying new and I really like the GK sound but I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get the Backline 250BL and a Power amp instead because the thing Ilike most about the 2001 is the Distortion channel.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    One reason to buy the separate preamp instead of the 2000RB combo preamp and amp is that the 2000RB had a critical design flaw, nearly every one of them fail at one point or another in the power section.

Mine did, and it took GK an aweful long time to get it back to me (months and months), and it never did work right after that. They've since been redesigned under the 2001RB name, and I would expect the design to have been fixed.

6. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    Actually... The 2000rb had about 3 "fatal" flaws but they were all fix in the later model serial numbers. Also every one of the "fatal" flaws were fixable and G-K will upgrade any amp at NO charge, even if you are not the original owner. The power amp failing that you mention was due to overheating. The upgrade is a new vented top cover and a second fan. The other two Flaws have to do with one or both channels going out. These were caused by inferior Bi-amp and bridge switches going bad. New switches solve that problem. Unfortunatly by time G-K learned about the problems, the amp had a bad reputation that just could not be overcome. I learned all this because I bought my 2000rb used and researched everything pretty well so knew about the reputation and checked it out BEFORE I bought mine. I then had any upgrades done that were needed at no charge!!!! I do not know ANY company that ever did that!... FAST TOO! Mine has been working GREAT for over a year of moderate to heavy use. Now if you did not get the mods done, and you blow the amp, then I am sure that would take them a while to get it fixed. I guess it just goes to show that there is always kernal of truth in everything, but there is also two sides to every story.

I personaly like used gear because in electronics, if it does not breal right away it probably won't. But you do need to do your homework...lol. Eventhough any good company burns their amps in it is not the same as a true road test.

jam

7. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    Opps one other thing... the 2001rb and the 2000rb are completly different amps. The 2000rb is a BIG brother of the 800rb (tone, control etc) The 2000rb has allthat the 800rb had but added etc flexabilyt plus more control because of the stereo/Bi-amp. The 2001rb is a departure from this classic sound, and functionality, and internal design.

The only thing the same is the name on the front...hehe

jam

8. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I e-mailed BassNW about this pre about a month and a half ago and they are carrying it for a very reasonable price..