Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 2001RBP + QSC RBX questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ozzyman, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I have a question about GK's Biamp system. I want to be able to seperate the tweeter signal from the woofer signal without cutting the RBX's power into two parts (aka stay in monobridged mode). Is there anyway to do this with a regular cab with a tweeter? Will the cab need special wiring (i'm thinking about custom)? I know the poweramp in the GK2001RB (not RBP) has 1080w (woofer) + 100w (horn) and they supply a GK cab like two cabs (so they can cut the tweeter seperate from the woofer and have the tweeter siganl through a different voicing filter).

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm more than sure you'd need a crossover.

3. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    custom crossover with attenuator
    would that work???

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Two poweramps - one bigger for the deeps; and for the high output, a smaller poweramp and a cab (with 10" or even smaller) or a powered (active) cab.

OR use full range and use cabs that have 'Horn Attenuator' switch/poti.

OR use a Y cable to combine the two (high + low) signals and so both go into the poweramp (not sure if this would work, though); still, use a cab with attenuator.

Crossover? what for? how? where?
    The RBP already splits the signals, so you already have some crossover there. But from there on...

Oh and BTW, RMX, not RBX, right?

5. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Well, GK's sound has a "growl" sent to the woofers which sounds horrible on tweeters so it splits the signal so only the woofers get sent the growl signal. And also when the gain channel is activated it cuts out the horn (don't know why). With GK's RBH cabs the head automatically senses that it can be bi-amped and the cab splits the tweeter and woofer signals.
    Is there anyway to get a cab to split the tweeter and woofer signal without getting a GK cab?
    Now the way GK does it with their heads is they have a sperate powersupply for the horn and a main powersupply for the woofer.
    Try looking at the manual

6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I know how they work, I have a GK and will probably be getting another (though neither of the biamp-series), but that goes for the 2001RB, and not the RBP. Unless you get the 2001 poweramp, that I assume will have that function. As you said it is with the head, and not the pre.

The GK biamp system is quite unique, and I dont think other biamp systems would be compatible with it. Also, most companies dont use biamp, as it does not really make a helluva difference.

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Went to GK site and checked it - ARE YOU SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT?!?

Now, you got the 2001RBP, right?
    Then you have an XLR as preamp out.
    Now, you can plug this into the QSC, and you have a fullrange rig. No problems, nice tone.

What you want to do is only on the 2001RB - the RBP doesnt even have separate controls for woofer and tweeter.
    You could biamp that rig by getting a crossover and splitting the signal to a high and a low, and feeding it to the two channels of the QSC, and use smaller drivers for the high and turn it way lower than the woofer.

If you want the same power, then you need a small poweramp for the highs or use a powered cab. There's no other way.

Either way, you will find that it wont make that much of a difference.

Another idea: speakers with built-in crossovers (aka two-/three-way speakers), which split the signal internally to the different drivers. You will still need a horn attenuator on that to adjust it. The speakers still wont have different power sources, but you will not strain the woofers with high frequencies and the tweeters with lows.

8. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    My friend has the 2001RB and I just bought the QSC RMX 1450, so I was gonna get the 2001RBP (which I thought was the preamp for 2001RB)
    And I'm about to order a 410 Shroeder (hopefully).

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Sounds good. Will most probably make a very nice rig.
    That will have lots of tone even without biamping.
    Biamp wont make that much of a difference, but a lot of extra hassle and extra money