Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 200MB hum

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geoffzilla, Oct 4, 2004.

1. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I just got ahold of an old Gallien Krueger 200MB combo this weekend. A great little rig for upright gigs. It worked fine the night I bought it and used it for an hour long gig. It also worked the next morning just fine. Last night, I plugged it in, and it wouldn't work at all. If I crank the gain and master volume, I can hear enough hiss to know that the power section is working, but I can't get signal to it. Another REALLY odd thing I've noticed, is that the amp has a very quiet hum whenever it's plugged in, even if it's not turned on.
    Does anyone have enough experience with these combos to have suggestions? I want to be able to rely on this thing for gigs, but oviously, can't really do that right now.
    I've emailed GK, but haven't gotten a response yet.
    Daniel Elliot, are you around? Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Geoff S

2. Gene at GK might be a little behind on his email, but he will definitely help you out. One thing to try is plug your bass into the return jack and see if you get any sound. If you do, then there's something wrong with the preamp section. It could be anything from a bad input jack to a bad pot or something more serious. Call Gene for a service center or to make arrangements to have it fixed at the factory. They might be able to fix it for less than $100. office line is 209 234 7300

3. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks Daniel! I got an email from Gene less than an hour after posting here. I'll try to call him today. I'll be sure to post to the forum if I end up shipping this thing back to the factory. The problem with this thing seems to keep changing on me. Now, it hums louder when it's on, and I tried plugging into the effects return with no luck. Bummer. This combo was perfect while it was functioning.
    -Geoff

4. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Just wanted to tell the board (if anyone's interested) that Gene at GK was quick to respond, very polite on the phone, and super helpful.
    After talking to him, I'm probably going to get it repaired locally, but I'm more than happy with my experience with the company.
    Thanks to Daniel also.