Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 200RCB AS A PREAMP???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by capalito, Sep 6, 2003.

1. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    OK, I have decided to get a Stewart World 1.2 (700w) PA and use it with an old Gallien Krueger 200RCB bass amp head (same as the small MB200 old combo but without the speaker) and use it as a preamp. This combination sounds really good with my 8 ohm Epifani 112.
    My only question is:
    Can I really use an amp head like the GK as a preamp?
    I mean, I will not be connecting any speakers directly to the GK so I could damage the GK, right? I always knew that if you use an amp without connecting the speaker you will blow the amp.
    ADVICE PLEASE
    -Juan
    juanprivera@hotmail.com

2. I thinks it's a great choice.

The is no harm in not using the output of the poweramp, because it is solid state, and they don't mind having no load. Tube amps are different. Because of the output structure they tend to blow up without a load.

I have a 200 RCB right now that I'm fixing up and hope to get it working soon so I can try it out. I think it will make a great practice amp, and with the stereo chorus and all, I think it would be great for recording.

Peace,

BT

3. Agree with basstrader.

I own a 200MB and while my Eden head was out for repair, I gigged the 200MB as a preamp and you know what?

The little bizzatch sounded like a big fat funky booty (with an old QSC power amp and the SWR gIII). :cool: My bandmates thought my tone was terribly cool with that rig.

I did too.

:hyper:

4. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    Yeah but, with the GKMB200 for instance, I know for a fact that you are not supposed to use it with the internal speaker off if no external speaker is connected to the amp, because of the risk of damaging the amp (I have heard this from many people).
    If I want to use the GK200RB amp head as a preamp only, should I use the FX send, the XLR out, or the 1/4 inch line out to connect it to the Stewart PA?
    Also, can I use the master volume and give the Gk (preamp) some power, or do I have to keep the master at 0? How do I work this out to prevent any possible damage to the GK?
    thanks guys
    -Capalito

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The many people who told you that were wrong. How can you say you know it for a fact if it's just hearsay? SS amps, like GKs, do *not* need a speaker load. In your other thread, Daniel Elliot, the GK rep, told you to use the speaker defeat button on the back of your 200MB. Why don't you believe him? It's his *job* to tell you about that button. The master volume will not affect the lines out (1/4" or XLR), it only runs the power section. I left my master volume at 0 so I wouldn't be surprised when I pushed the button back in, you can put yours wherever you like.

edit...

Download the manual here
    http://www.gallien-krueger.com/SUPPORT/Manuals/Owner's Manuals.htm

It says the master will affect tone if you use the wet outs. It says nothing about blowing up w/out a load like a tube amp would.