Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 210SBX Should I add ports

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by axxtion, Jan 21, 2006.

1. axxtion

axxtion

Jan 21, 2006
    Disneyland, CA
    I picked up an almost new GK 210SBX off of ebay. I tried it with my GK 1001RB II, but after playing with a couple of guys in a garage for about an hour and a half, the speakers started to rattle. I knew goin' in that I was probably over driving the cabinet even though I never got over 5 but I figured if it didn't hold up, I'ld put some better speakers in it. Today I put 2 10" eminence kappa pros in. I plugged in my 5 string Warwick and the speakers rattled off the low B and open E with the GK 1001RB II. I hooked up my 400RB and got about the same thing. I'm wondering if porting the cabinet would let the speaker perform better. :confused:

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Depends on what the internal dimensions of the cabinet are. You'll need to post this info before anyone could even begin to help you alter the tuning of that cabinet, but retuning for those other drivers is nearly for certain necessary.

3. axxtion

axxtion

Jan 21, 2006
    Disneyland, CA
    GK 210SBX - inside dimensions are 21.5" wide x 14.5" high x 16.5" deep with no ports and an internal panel running down the center, attached to the front to about 2 inches from the back.

4. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    Have you tried bi-amping it with your 1001RB? I.E., hooking the 2x10 up to the hi side of your amp and something like a 1x15 or a ported 2x10 to the low side? You might like that sound - the unported 2x10 will stay nice and tight and the low side should handle you low B.

5. axxtion

axxtion

Jan 21, 2006
    Disneyland, CA
    I did use the four wire speakon to biamp when i tested it with the 1001RB II, but I would like to use this as a stand alone rig when i use my 400RB. The Eminence Kappa Pros are rated at 500 watts each and i think running them only with the 50 watt biamp doesn't really solve my problem.

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Only the 800RB could do that. The rest of the Artist series' bi-amp is just fifty watts to the tweeter (~3k Hz).

Personally, I wouldn't port it. I'd find a better match to the cabinet, and then still keep it sealed. You could always just put the original speakers back in, sell it, and then get an empty Avatar cab for those Kappa speakers you have.

7. axxtion

axxtion

Jan 21, 2006
    Disneyland, CA
    I don't think the original speakers are good anymore and i wouldn't feel right trying to sell a box of junk to anyone. At this point, it seems like the cab is pretty worthless, so i don't have any problem with cuttin' up or modifiing this cab in some way. Some where i read that someone recommended installing two 3" to 4" diameter port tubes about 7" long into the front of this thing. What do you guys think?

8. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    It's the original stupid idea. The cab was designed to be sealed, and you overpowered it, and blew it up. Not the fault of the cabinet that you picked the wrong one . . . . . Replace the drivers and sell it . . . . or replace the drivers, and run it with another cab . . . . . at any rate, it's not like it can't be repaired . . . .

- Tim

9. axxtion

axxtion

Jan 21, 2006
    Disneyland, CA
    Actually, i totally agree with you. But my questions is what speakers to replace it with? I figured that the new kappa pro's i bought would be good speakers, but even with my 400RB, they distort on the low B string and on the open E. I haven't played it for more than ten minutes and the volume hasn't passed 5. Besides hearing the distortion, I can see the cones distorting on the edges as they oscilate in and out. Is there a hi watt 10" speaker with a more rigid cone structure?

10. axxtion

axxtion

Jan 21, 2006
    Disneyland, CA
    I found another problem is that in a two speaker set up, there is no way to end up with 8 ohms using two 8 ohm speakers. You will get either 4 ohms or 16 ohms. I should have used to 16 ohm speakers. :crying:

11. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho

It isn't as simple as a 'rigid cone structure', there are other things at work like suspension compliance, cone mass, free air resonance, maximum excursion, Qts, etc. which determine how it will behave at a specific frequency.

12. axxtion

axxtion

Jan 21, 2006
    Disneyland, CA
    Thanks, but all that stuff is over my head. i just want to know at this point if anyone could recommend a decent replacement speaker to get from the 200 watt max cab to maybe a 400 watt cab and still keep the cab sealed? I would like to keep the 210 if only to run through my 400 RB for small gigs.

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    They are, in the application that they were designed for. Unfortunately that application is PA midbass. The bottom line is that if you're looking for a lot of power down low you're not going to get it from a 2x10, except with BP102s, and they've got no high end. Leave the box sealed and let the Kappa's do what they do best and put a 1x15 underneath to handle the lows. Get an 8 ohm 15 and rewire your Kappas in series or you'll toast your amp.

14. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Since you appear to have a 210SBX and NOT the current 210SBX-II, then the drivers you had are 100w, right? The current 210SBX-II uses 200w drivers, and the cabinet is rated for 400w. Same box . . . . . and probably the same crossover as the rest of the SBX/RBH series. As such, those GK drivers should be perfect for the cabinet, and will double your power handling . . . . call GK.

- Tim

brichards likes this.
  15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The problem isn't power, it's the simple fact that from a 2x10 there is only so much clean sound you can get out of it, and any additional power applied will only come out as distortion.

16. axxtion

axxtion

Jan 21, 2006
    Disneyland, CA
    You hit the nail right on the head. I woke up this morning, and it dawned on me that i had my head way up my ass. All I need to do is exactly what you stated above, upgrade the 210SBX to the 210SBX-II, done deal.

thanks

17. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    You might ask GK about that, it could be as simple as you propose.

18. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    If you have ever been inside an SBX cab, trust me, it's that easy - no need to ask. No components in the crossover on the low side at all . . . . and since all SBX are 8ohm, no issues there either . . .

- Tim

19. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Indeed, I have never seen the inside. My concern was that sometimes manufacturers make substantial changes between models revisions (like ported vs sealed) which might make for big differences between drivers. Since GK would be the source anyway, it seemed pretty easy to ask.

20. axxtion

axxtion

Jan 21, 2006
    Disneyland, CA
    called GK and i can upgrade the 210SBX to the 210SBX-II for $99 per speaker. maybe not the cheapest way to go, but probably the best final solution.