1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 212 neo vs. Avatar 212 neo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scotius2001, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Anybody A/B these 2? Comparison thoughts?

2. bump.

3. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    id be interested in this comparison as well. i am in love with the gk neos and would love to see how the avatar cabs compare. could be a less expensive alternative. :bassist:

4. Just curious, what is it you love about them? What kind of stuff do you play and how do the GK neos get the job done for you?

5. I am in no way contributing to the thread, so sorry! BUT, is your avatar from the alice in wonderland ride at disneyland? Me and my friend went through that ride 4 times trying to get te picture you have :D

6. Haha! Good catch. That's precisely where that pic came from.

:)

7. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    well prior to the gk neo 700rb combo i played thru a 4x10 goliath III and bass 750. first off the gk was just a single 12 and was insanely loud for its size. u could use it as a monitor for some loud rock as long as you were running thru a PA. id have to say that if i wouldve added a 2nd 12 it wouldve been louder then the goliath III. thats an educated guess though... second is the tone. simply to die for. if you like all out punch and cutting thru the mix.... its there. if you wanna do the led zeppellin classic rumble... its there.

the neo 12's seemed just as punchy as any 10's ive played thru but with an incredibly warm bottom to fill the void. its something u really need to hear to experience. i hope this helped though! :p

8. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Bump from another interested party. I have an Avatar 212 neo but am thinking about picking up a GB.

BTW Scotius, the Rebop's getting a ton of use and still rockin'! :bassist:

9. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    What's this? A thread about Genz Benz an Avatar and it's sinking like a rock?

Bump

10. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Not Genz-Benz -- GK = Gallien-Krueger.

Asad

11. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    GK vs. Avatar 2x12s...I want to know as well! I'm in the market for a 2x12...would love an Orange Tolex Avatar...but if the GK sounds better in other people's opinions...then I will grab the GK.

12. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've used and owned both of these cabinets. I currently own the GK 212 Neo. The Avatar sounds nice and smooth but doesn't have as much punch as the GK. The Avatar, on the other hand, has a much quieter tweeter. The GK has casters standard, the Avatar does not. Soundwise, the GK is more bass intensive and punchier but it does have a "hissy" tweeter which I kind of find annoying. I use a GK 1001 RB II head and used this head with each cabinet. For me, the selling point for the GK was the special bi-amp capability, caster wheels and more bass intensive punchiness. If I had any other head, I'd probably just stick with the Avatar. Avatars are great cabs for the money and I would have stuck with it had it not been for the extra functionality with GK's cabs and my head.

13. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    D'oh! Had a Homer moment.

14. TK-421

TK-421

Jun 26, 2007
    Denver
    I'm running a GK 700rb-II through an Avatar 212 but I'm waiting for the GK NEO 410's to come out and be thoroughly reviewed. I really like the GK 212 but I just didn't have the cash at the time. But I'm happy with the Avatar for now, they're really great for the money. The 212 really slices through metal guitars with how hard it pushes the mids. If anything the GK would be something to graduate to if you want to build up a gigantor rig or if you just want to completely destroy your guitar players.

15. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm thinking of a nice cheap solution to the bass cab.
    Thanks for bringing this thread up, as the GK Neo 212 is one of my options, before Avatar/Dr Bass.

16. nico_80

nico_80

Oct 31, 2006
    SoCal
    Well, considering some time has past since this thread was started, and I don't think there was a clear concesus. I'll give it a bump because I'm now curious. :)

17. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I will first say that I have never played a GK Neo 212, but I do really like my Avatar Neo 212. Very punchy and works well for my indie rock band.

Anyway I'm mainly writing to say that it should be noted that Avatars and anyother cab with a speakon input and a tweeter can be modified to be bi-amp capable. While I have never made this modification I have heard that it is rather simple and anyone with a solder gun can do it. A simple search should bring something up on this.

18. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I have an older 8 ohm Avatar B212, sounds OK with my GBE600 when I use it stand alone, about 275 watts @ 8 ohms. But I'd like to get the Avatar Neo 212 or Genz Benz NeoxT?-212 in 4 ohm. Wonder if I use either of these 2x12 cabs in 4 ohm as stand alone and would it be noticeably louder than just my 8 ohm B212 alone? GBE runs 425 watts @ 4 ohms.

19. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Another thing to consider is getting 2 GK Neo 212's, it will give you the same range as the 212 but with more portability when you need it.

20. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I think he meant 2 -112's