1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 212 speaker cab surprise!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flyguy909, Jul 10, 2014.

1. flyguy909

flyguy909

Mar 3, 2011
    Coventry, CT
    So I'm taking out a speaker in my GK 2x12 neo MBE cab that I bought in 2012 from Musicans F____ and got quite a surprise. Actually this is the second speaker I've taken out of this cab - the first one blew about a year ago. I isolated which one and just took out that speaker at the time and replaced it. So a year goes by and I'm taking out the other speaker because now this one is starting to fart.

I'm taking it out and I notice it's a Eminence Professional series neo speaker with the nice binding posts. I go check the first speaker still sitting on the shelf and its a different speaker - different basket, no obvious manufacture markings except that the basket struts are stamped Gallien Kruger. Hmm.. what happened here. Is this a return that M.F. did something with, or did this get shipped from GK like this? Would GK ship a cabinet with 2 different speakers?

Don't think that I'll ever get tho the bottom of this. I do have to say that I've never been happy with how this cabinet has sounded.

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Sounds like someone put an Eminence 2512II in there. Post a pic and we can confirm and look yourself online. Nothing wrong with that driver other than it's not the original. This is all speculative mind you.

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Just curious how many watts you were pushing into that cab? I have two of the 212MBE cabs that use the same drivers and they are still working so far powered at 300w per driver. I'm wondering how much longer they will last powered like that...

4. flyguy909

flyguy909

Mar 3, 2011
    Coventry, CT
    Yep, I was guessing its a 2512II as well. It looks exactly like the pictures online. You just wonder where along the chain that happened.

5. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Does other (original ) driver look more like a series 1 2512? (no vent through the magnet, vents through the diet cap instead) magnet structure/fins are a little different.)

6. flyguy909

flyguy909

Mar 3, 2011
    Coventry, CT
    I played thru a Ampeg 410HLF for many years and that cab took whatever I threw at it and it always delivered. Got tired of shlepping that cab, so I switched out for the GK neo 2x12 along with a GK neo 1x15. problem is I'm still powering with a Crown stereo amp and tend to push these cabs a little too much on big stages and outdoor gigs. My own fault really.

AlexanderB likes this.
  7. flyguy909

flyguy909

Mar 3, 2011
    Coventry, CT
    No, it looks exactly like the series II.

8. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    A pair of the 2x12's will probably give you more than the 2x12 + 1x15 combo before they go teats up ;) . I use my pair of 2x12's as subs mostly (hence the 1200w into them) - 34 lb subs, woo :) ! I do have them high pass filtered to help prevent the suspensions from getting stretched out - does you crown amp have a HPF?

9. flyguy909

flyguy909

Mar 3, 2011
    Coventry, CT
    The Crown does have a built in HPF which I do not have set. What frequency is yours set to?

10. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Ah. GKs special recipe twist on the 2512. More excursion less highs is my guess.

11. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    GK claims their 12's handle 300w vs the Eminence only being rated at 250w . And I usually high-pass at 45Hz. The 212MBE cabs roll off at 52Hz, the more expensive 212 Neo at 53Hz.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    GK reportedly makes their own speakers, but I have my doubts, at least in the Neo series. Can't find the old thread on the phone, doesn't matter, it was a side conversation in some thread that wouldn't have Eminence or Deltalite in the title anyway, but the GK speaker looked so much like the Deltalite except for one difference...the GK had a "rib" on the outside of the frame arms where the Eminence didn't, presumably to help stiffen the frame. Everything else looked identical.

Not surprising really, the Eminence DeltaliteII platform is the basis for by far the majority of neo cabs out there, be they Genz Benz, Avatar, or any number of others.

That also doesn't mean they're all as close as they seem. An almost innumerable number or tweaks and modifications, different cones, voice coils and their positioning, etc. can be made on that same frame/motor structure can be made to the point where different OEM takes on the same platform can and do, sound and act like completely different speakers.

All one needs to do to hear how big of a difference small differences can make, is to listen to an Avatar Deltalite II and an Eminence stock spec Deltalite II next to each other. I have both.

For another completely different take on the same thing, compare those to a Genz NeoX.

All different takes on the same basic 12" I'm talking about here.

13. flyguy909

flyguy909

Mar 3, 2011
    Coventry, CT
    I called GK tech support today and talked to one of their guys about this. He said they never mix speakers like that and he can't recall any situation where they would substitute an Eminence driver for one of theirs in a production run.

So that leaves Musicians F--. I wonder if this "new" cab was returned and then they doctored it and resold it. Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of people receiving used gear as new.