1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 212MBE delivered today !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by garagebassman, Sep 20, 2010.

1. I am stoked to get home and hear it
    Got it in 8 ohms through RMC, as well as an MB500.
    I haven't been able to try out the newer 500's since they never have'em at the two GC's nearest to me. but liked the orig 500 when I tried it in store a few years ago.
    I also thought the MB212 sounded very big when I roadtested it last year for a few gigs, but I prefer the separates option and versatility.
    I've been a long time user of the ol 400RB and 410 B cabs (but 70 lbs a bit much), then recently a 700RB and NEO212I, i can't imagine ever needing to be louder than that rig, I actually think it "breathes" better at an outdoor gig, sounded almost too much for a medium/biggish room.
    So I can't wait to roadtest it at the next gig this weekend !

2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    WOW!!! Good news...first the MB Fusion, now this! GK is finally getting some of this stuff out. I'm still waiting for the MBE410!!!

3. Biggest difference I noticed right away and at rehearsal last night is the cab(&MB500) is more mid present than the MB212.
    Not sure if it has anything to do with it being an 8ohm cab , but I kinda doubt that.
    I can actually dial in contour to 9 or 10 o'clock with out losing too much mid....whereas with the MB212 and 700/212Neo rigs I needed to keep the contour off or down completely.
    I was actually expecting to have to dial back the bass knob a bit on the eq (based on memory of the orig 500 and neo410 I tried in the store a few years ago, but the eq straight up with a bit of contour was getting it done nicely.Another rehearsal wed nt and the gig this weekend will tell me more...but this pairing has way more mid bark than I was expecting...and that's a good thing for me

4. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Very interesting!!! I assumed it would sound just like the combo. More mids = better for me too. I wonder if they put insulation in the MBE212?

5. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    You just had to go there, didn't you....;)

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Almost surely the voice coil of the woofers is different if the ohms are different. The MBE212 the OP got is 8 ohms, the combo is 4 ohms.

7. I was expecting the same sound as the combo also. I wonder if the revisions in eq of the 500 is involved ?
    I am also anxious to A/B the 212MBE and 212NEO, and swap between M500 and 700RB. I am expecting the 212Neo to have the bigger sound, but it's strange because I am fairly certain that I read the speakers in the two cabs are the same.
    When I get a bit of time to play around I'll know more.
    btw and fwiw, i don't see any insulation inside this cab, and it sounds great so far but it has a few gigs to do to before we'll know for sure
    I still think it would be a stretch to expect much of a tone difference between the 4 and 8 ohm cabs...but I like the 8 ohm since I'll be able to add the 212NEO for an outdoor thing in a couple of weeks

8. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    heehee ;)

I'll bet you're right about the revisions on the MB500 causing different tone.

The 212NEO might sound bigger and louder due to much more cabinet volume. Bob said they were the same speakers.

9. Govier966

Govier966

Apr 28, 2009
    New York
    I want one of these really badly Im cabless im glad it sounds good

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Louder under 100hz maybe but above that, same speakers should be basically the same as long as the lining is sufficient.

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    New, stiffer speakers = an initially tighter sound?

*subscribed*

12. Govier966

Govier966

Apr 28, 2009
    New York
    Idk if you have a vt bass pedal but if you do could you tell us how it sounds with the vt going into the effects return?

13. I do not have a vt pedal, no.
    Another rehearsal last night. I am overall very impressed with the low end (but not too "big") and especially the lo mids.
    I have been eq'ing in/out contour (off or 9 or 10 oclock), and switching between boost and not, maybe adding a notch or two of hi mids for some upper end grind.
    Don't think the tweeter is adding much but I didn't expect it to.

14. After a couple of gigs this weekend and having a friend sit in for a few tunes late last night on us ri p/j bass the lo mid presence was noticeable and appreciated out in the dance floor area. And the upper end came through much clearer than I was expecting based on standing in front of it.
    Settings input gain 9-10 oclock, eq @ noon except hi mid @ 2 oclock, contour @ 10 oclock master A @ noon, but kept the boost on 99% of the time (just sounded too good) boost @ 2 oclock master B @ 10 oclock.
    The "smaller" and "less extended" low end (as compared to the700RB/212Neo) really lets the rock tones come through nicely.
    And still surprising (to me) that the top end for slapping and popping was very present and clear.
    so far so good !

15. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Bottom line: does it sound as good as some of the other 2x12's and if so which?
    Really value the comparative approach as it is impossible to talk absolute performance with just words IMO

16. The only 212 I have experienced is the GK Neo I.

And after some A/B'ing last night, I was actually a bit surprised (although I think I remember reading something to this effect from Tom Bowlus ?) the bigger low end sound is not necessarily the bigger cab as I was expecting....the 700RB just seems to have more of that at it's flat setting, whereas the 500 has much more presence up top. Although the eq's can get either one where you need it.

But between these two 212's at least, almost exactly as
    Bob G. described, the 212MBE sounds smaller than the 212Neo...but it still had plenty of low end for me at the gig.

And I also tried a couple of 5's passive jazz and sr5.
    JB sounded great , but the sr5 really made the top end presence known.

And REALLY leaning on the low end of the B string notes hard (and louder than I play at rock gigs) is the only time I would say the 700 212Neo has an edge....but for the size and weight (and price) of this set up, I think it is very hard to beat!

17. Govier966

Govier966

Apr 28, 2009
    New York
    this sounds like a great cab. I have so much gas right now. all that mexican food didnt help either.

18. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Thanks; very helpful.
    Sounds like a qulaity cab at a bargain price.
    Now if Jim Begrantino would ....

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

OP, I hope your new rig brings you lots of happy satisfaction. Enjoy.

20. Thanks

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021