1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 400 RB IV not enough low end

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by prater, Dec 14, 2016.

1. prater

prater

Aug 4, 2011
    When I try to dial in deep low end it just gets muddy and the brightness never goes away, I'm thinking I may have outgrown this head.

2. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Cut the high end instead?

Sartori likes this.
  3. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Could it be a cab issue? It's not unusual for the amp to get the blame for what turns out to be a cab issue.

4. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    This.

The head you are using is just one part of the equation. Your instrument, cable, effects, strings and cab all play a part in your overall tone. My tone changes based on whether I am using one cab or two.

Try to identify the offending frequencies and dial them back first. Maybe pull back the highs, dial in more mids and then adjust the lows accordingly.
    It's also possible that your head just isn't doing it for you anymore.

Josh Kneisel likes this.
  5. prater

prater

Aug 4, 2011
    Can is a brand new fender rumble 410.

6. I find my 400RB from '92 to be fairly strong in the low end.
    It can get muddy, if you run too much bass.
    Is this a problem with other cabs?

Sartori likes this.
  7. prater

prater

Aug 4, 2011
    Yes, any time I try to dial in a low thumpy tone it just sounds honky instead of smooth.

I didn't even realize it might be my head until I played through someone elses rig last night and noticed how smooth my p bass sounded.

8. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    What are your current settings?
    Brent

9. prater

prater

Aug 4, 2011
    Everything at 12 except bass which is boosted to 2. Playing a Fender P bass.

10. If this tone thing just revealed itself when you plugged in your new cab... then I know where I'd be placing the blame.

Al Kraft likes this.
  11. Les Ismoor

Les Ismoor Masochist of the First Order

Sep 10, 2015
    SW Ohio
    DCS_7800-1re.
    BBE 462

I've used these two as a combo for a while now, and they pair together well; the BBE adds a nice full bottom. They run through a Hartke 410XL and/or Avatar B210.

12. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    I used to use a GK 400RB-IV through a 610 cabinet for a little while. Try keeping the bass at noon, bump up the low mids, try cutting the highs and cut the high mids just sligtly to take the honk out.

Al Kraft and BrentSimons like this.
  13. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    That's exactly what I was going to say! :)

kbakerde likes this.
  14. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I believe I answered this in your other thread, but it's your cab, not the head. The head is fine, those cabs are super mid scooped and miss those great low and hi-mids that get so underrated. Try the head with a better cabinet and you may be surprised.

15. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I have no experience with this cab, but lots with GK heads. IME many 410's are quite heavy on the bottom end and a touch scooped sounding (or actually scooped) in the mids. GK EQ's are very flexible and I find that cutting a touch of bass and compensating with a slight boost in low mids usually gets me out of the mud/boom range and into nice low presence/punch territory. Cabs and basses obviously make a difference as well, but it's important to remember that GK tone stacks are very powerful so small adjustments make large differences and cutting sometimes helps more than adding. I hope that's useful.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  16. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Two threads on the same topic, by the same person, on the same day! Now for me to try to be helpful. Are you plugging directly into the amp or do you have any pedals in the chain?

17. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    I've got nothing but good memories of my RB IV 115 Combo. No end of tonal possibilities although I do admit it always sounded very bright. Very seldom did the eq controls need to be far from 12 o'clock. I got more with the Contour, Presence and Boost controls.
    In the practice room there's an old RB 400 III head running through an SWR 210 and it's a great sound - very solid low end

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Al Kraft likes this.
  18. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Roll back the bass knob, it's often the "mud" knob. Drop your high mids and boost low mids until it starts giving you the warmth you want, then dial back in treble and high mid to taste.

Tommyc, TonyP- and Al Kraft like this.
  19. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Exactly the process that I find works every time with my GK heads! GK provides you a lot of power in the EQ and to my ear starts off with a bit of a low and high boost/mid scoop kind of default with everything at noon. Adding more bass is usually not necessary and always counterproductive if there is boom or mud. That lower mid control is very useful for punching up and voicing the low end and is especially effective when you drop the bass a touch.

InhumanResource likes this.
  20. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Try dropping the bass 2 clicks (11:30 or so) and boost your low mids (~250Hz) that same amount or perhaps a little more. Most of the Bass EQ's I've seen are shelving-type centered around 30Hz. If your GK uses a shelving-type Bass EQ, boosting that will tend to muddy up just about anything because you're boosting all the frequencies from whatever their low frequency cut off is (20Hz?) up to 30 Hz. That sucks a lot of power producing "almost" inaudible frequencies.

The boost of the low mids often cleans up muddy sounds and gives you a good solid thump in the chest. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but give it a shot to see if that helps before opting for a new amp all together.