Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 400 RBIV Rack Size Rec?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by manbass, Feb 22, 2006.

1. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Any GK users here tell me what rack/size I should buy for my new amp (Also have a BBE and Conditioner)?

Never owned a rack...combo amps until now.

Thanks.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A standard rack space (also known as 1U) is 1.75 in. Your GK head would need two spaces.

Assuming that both BBE and Conditioner are 1U each, you'd need at least 4 spaces (4U) total (2+1+1).

Don't buy a rack advertised as an "effects rack" They're usually shallower and your amp would stick out the back.

You may want a space between your amp and the stuff above..and you may want to add a compressor or a wireless or something in the future. I'd recommend a 6U rack...buy it once and you're done.

3. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks Billy B. SKB/ATA/Gator or any will do?

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have a bunch of SKBs. Found most of them at Music Go Round stores for pretty good prices.

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Make sure to leave a space above your GK, because that's where the exhaust fan ... exhausts.

6. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Hmmm.. The math isnt working dimensionally. SKB cases(standard not effects) are 18 inches deep and the GK 400 RB IV is only 8 inches deep. Is the GK a "shallow" amp? Maybe the Effects racks (stated as 12 inches deep) would work.

I get the part about spacing, vertically, that measures up.

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Yeah, it's pretty shallow. You might be fine with a small rack, but if you ever plan on adding anything extra, you might get a big one. I added a poweramp, for example.

Also, account for any jacks and the opening in the back. If it is a full-size back opening, you'll be fine, but sometimes they have these little "window" openings that are smaller, and that could complicate your cabling.

8. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    O-I-C. Need cable space behind.

So I guess I would run the bass cable into the BBE input (rear of unit) the cable from ther to the front GK 400 input, no that doesnt sound right. Why dont these fricken mauals show how to chain the equipment? Such sophisticated processing and the manual has nothing on what plugs where....time to experiment.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Guitar player I knew ran a BBE through his effects loop. You may find that that would be the best option: bass to GK in, GK FX send to BBE in, BBE out to GKFX return.

You may also find that with higher power amps, a BBE starts to degrade the tone more than it makes it better. At low volume, they sound great, but at real volume (which the 400 can definately put out), the results tend to be mixed.

Hope this all helps.