Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 400rb-210 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Oct 19, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i'm looking at this little devil for clubs, and small venues (local battle of the bands etc.) and am wondering if anyone has any opinions.
    i like the combo for ease of transport, and i can easily add a 115 cab later for a little extra rumble.
    i've looked at the 700rb, and the 1001rb, but i just don't know that i would ever need that much power. pretty much every gig i've played had a house P.A., and if they didn't, we brought our own.

one question i do have about it, is if the 2x10"s are the ones from the 210sbx, or the more expensive 210rbh.

thanks for you help fellas.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I had a 400RBIII 1x15 combo, it got me thru the small gigs just fine. The one I had was the 240@4 ohms. If I was in a small venue it was ok, I got a good deal on a 1x15RBH cab and used the two together a couple of times. I found the newer rig to be severely underpowered and in need of more power (No headroom when turned up). I replaced the 400RBIII with a 1001RB 2x10 combo and this along with the 1x15RBH cab is my current rig. I would say go for the 700 or the 1001 (newer versions) and have the headroom on hand even if you don't use it often. It's a Godsend to turn up the volume and the amp gets louder and not just a bunch of noise!
    Also-the 400 combo I believe lacks the pull up handle w/wheels that the 1001 and 700 combo's have! this is another reason I made the jump.

As for the speakers, they are the ones from the lower wattage cabs, most likely the SBX's. The newer combo puts out 180 watts@8 ohms, 280@4 ohms.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I had one of these for about 3 weeks, it was great so long as you don't play a 5 string. It used the 100 watts speakers from the SBX line and they simply couldn't handle the B on my Fender, they farted like mad and you could feel a huge rush of air from the box but no real sound and this was at quiet room practice levels!!! For a 4, it's sweet, sounds good, decent power, good tone. But if you play a 5 get the 700RB version since it uses the 200 watt RBH 10's.

4. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    thanks for the tips guys.
    i think i could afford one of these (musicians friend @ $749).

the option is i could get the 100rb head for that price, but i wouldn't have a cab :(
    hard to play without a cab you know.

5. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I think what others are trying to say is if you get the 400RB combo, you might as well be playing without a cab anyway. You will more than likely blow the speakers trying to achieve the volume the 700 or 1001 combo would provide effortlessly. Get the 1001 head only and borrow a cab until you can afford your own. Trust me, you will save money in the long run buying something that has all the power you will ever need.

BTW, you can get GK REALLY cheap from riksmusic.com

Got my 1001RBII for $630 including shipping. Just don't get the disappointing GK amp bag...its a joke. Right, I'm going to carry a bag with a 22.5lb amp (not the 18 they state on the web site) plus cables, etc. on my shoulder! No real handles to carry the stupid bag. Foamy inserts that fold over as you try to slide the amp into the bag. Pulling it in and out of the bag moves all of your knob settings...ooops, did I just rant?

6. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    thanks larzito.
    i'm emailing riksmusic to get a quote.
    a close friend of mine also recommended that i go with the 1001rb and find some poormans cab to play through.

7. Heya Rus,

Ive got this combo and im lovin it.
    But I will be ditching it for a Amp+Cab Config instead, simply because i just need to get abit louder

GK1001 is front runner at the moment.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Worst case scenario, run just a head direct to the board. I've done it on numerous occasions.

The 400RB-210 is a great setup, I just chose the amp/cab config for variation purposes, taking only the cabs I needed for the tone.

9. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    well i checked out riksmusic.com for a quote on the 1001rb head, and larzito was right on the money. i think this may be the one for me.

10. The speaker in the 400RB combo is not the SBX speaker. It's the same power handling as the SBX, but it's actually designed just like the RBH speaker.

11. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    The 1001RB is an awesome amp! I just recently bought a 1001RB-II 210 combo and a 115RBH cab and couldn't be more pleased.