GK 400RB/210, EdenNemesis 210, SWR Wkingman's 15...HELP?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grizzly, May 1, 2001.

1. Gallien-Krueger 400RB/210

47 vote(s)
  2. Eden Nemesis 210

13 vote(s)
  3. SWR Workingman's 15

9 vote(s)
  1. Grizzly

May 1, 2001
    Im in the market for my first real amp (currently using a dinky Fender BXR 25) and Ive narrowed it down to three choices. So far I like the Gallien-Krueger 400RB/210 the best, with the Nemesis 210 and the Workingman's 15 filling in 2nd and 3rd respectively. Basically, Im fishing for last minute advice to either push me over the edge to buy the GK or strongly pull me back to one of the other options. Im just going to throw out some of my opinions on these amps in hopes for comments...feel free to comment on my obsevatinos or on anything else. ALL ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
    1. The GK seemed the cleanest. Great low end and didn't color my instrument too much. Also, easily tweakable to get a tight, punchy slap tone.
    2. The Nemesis seemed to color my bass a bit. Ive heard that the electronics use template sound shaping that tends to generalize bass tone and eliminate some of the subtelties of an instrument...is this true? The Nemesis did have a huge low end (especially when boosting lower frequencies with the parametric eq) for a 2x10 but I couldn't seem to tweak it properly to get a good clean slap tone.
    3. The SWR sounds great but Ive been told that the Workingman's stuff is not in the same ballpark as the rest of theses amps. I like the tone, although it's a bit sterile. But the 15 didn't seem to get the same definition as the 2x10's.
    I understand that personal playing style is important when choosing amps so here's a quick rundown of my interests:
    -play a Yamaha BBN4 with 2 Yamaha soap-bar pickups
    -Play a mix of rock/funk/jazz that is best defined by today's jam bands...phish, widespread panic, string cheese incident, although my personal listening tends more to traditional jazz (bop and cool jazz).
    -Tones I'd drool to have include PHil Lesh's rig circa 1977, Kyle Hollingsworth of SCI, Vic Wooten when he's backing Bela and not soloing, Mike Gordon's slap tone and in general a rosy, punchy low end that can be quickly tweaked to cut through when I want to add brief solo.

Thanks for reading through this...Look forward to comments,
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I don't know about the nemesis, but i own a GK 400RB (head only) and an SWR Baby Blue. I've also played the Workingman's 15. They are both good amps to start out with, and I'd go with the one whose sound you like best. Be aware that you shouldn't try to plug a 4 ohm extension cab into either one, as they are both already running at 4 ohms. Are they both powerful enough for your needs?
  3. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    I went for the carvin RC210 redeye 600 watt 2x10 combo, and I'm happy with it. It's one of the most versatile amps I've played. It's about $800 with shipping. If you have any questions about it, just ask.
  4. Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US

I have a Workingman's 15 and love it. But it's not all that powerful, so if you're going to be in a loud band situation, you may want to look to something like Carvin where you can get more "bang for buck" - so to speak. Anyway, like others have said before, and will say again, trust your ears.
    Go with what sounds best to YOU, with how much you can spend. Good luck.
  5. actually the WM-15 runs at 8 ohms without an extension cab. but you're right that you shouldn't plug in a 4 ohm cab: you want another 8 ohm.
  6. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    i would recommend the gallien krueger. it's crazy clean, punchy, and in my opinion a slight cut above the workingman's 15 and nemesis 2x10. some other thoughts -

the carvin 2x10 may be an option to consider - more expandability, but can't comment on the tone.

you can get the GK 400rb 2x10 combo with a 1x15 from musician's friend for 999.99 - good deal for the bux.

good luck with the new rig.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I too would recommend the GK.

It has quite a bit more volume than the SWR(unless you hook an extension speaker to the SWR) and IMHO is better quality and has better tone than the SWR or the Nemesis.
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I voted for the nemesis, I don't have much experiecne with GK stuff. The nemesis is a really great amp for the price and its not heavy. Huge low end.. I use it as my back up amp now...
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have that Nemesis.

If you want a good slap tone, turn the enhance somewhere between 8 and 11 o'clock, (But be careful as this is basically a smilley face EQ knob and isnt meant to be used excessively.) and turn the bass only slightly higher than flat, boost the highs, and put the mids where ever you like them once you have the rest set.

Lastly, mess around with the parimetric Eq by setting the boost level to about 3/4 and sweeping the frequency knob untill you find a range you like to work with and adjust the levels from there. If you dont find anything like that, try cutting the boost by 3/4 and repeat. If you still dont find anything switch it off.

I got this combo because I use a 2-15" cab and could not find any set of 10's that suited my taste for bass power other than Nemesis/ Eden. The low end is incredible, but can be overwhelming, so I would recommend that you back off on the bass knob, and boost the treble and mids more as these are less powerful. You can get any bass sound, you just need to turn down the bass knob on these amps.

10. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    i used to own an SWR workingman's 15... i loved it. i wish i still had it.

great combo. sounds amazing. my only dislikes.. it could be a little louder, and the thing is so weird to carry. if i still had mine, i would definately be putting more handles on.
  11. I voted for the Nemesis. I have used a 410 combo for almost 3 years, with no problems. It is light weight, and the price was right.

good luck
  12. msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I have used a GK400RB head for years now and fall in love with it every time I pick it up. Light. I usually run a 15 with it.I have tried various 4 10s but for my sound I like the 15.There is tons of headroom with the tone controls and I have not felt the need for anything bigger.I have never had any problems with any GK stuff and would buy another in a minute if it were stolen.It is so light that I usually take the head home with me after a gig and leave the cab on the stage if we are doing several nights.
  13. Knack

Mar 25, 2002
    New York City
    I use a GK400RB (circa 1991). I had one problem with it in that it started to cut out on me during play. Fortunately, I solved the problem by opening it up and finding that one of the crimp connectors inside was loose. I tightened it and it works fine now.

It is a great, clean-sounding, punchy, solid-state amp. I was using it with a Carvin 1x15, which had awesome, thunderous lows, but lacked the highs. I just received a new Avatar B210 (4 ohm version) but haven't tried it out yet. My only problem with the GK now is that it can not run both cabs. If just the 210 doesn't cut it, then I may buy a new head to bi-amp both cabs.
  14. Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    If you go with GK check out Riks music. I think it is www.riksmusic.com They have great prices. I think the 400 is $429.
  15. I use the SWR Workin' Man 15.

Agreed - very awkward to carry unless you just hug the thing.
    - Handle is fast degrading.
    - Easy to vacuum Doritos (not mine) off of the carpet cover.
    Structurally sound rig - takes modest road knocks.
    - I turn the horn "off". Seems too "honky" for my own tastes (I don't slap and I play exclusively with my fingers a mix of contemporary Gospel styles).
    I put tone shaping @ 5 and I like the clean flat amp sound with my two basses -Ibanez and Yamaha at modest volumes.
    - Finally, a bit harsh sounding when really pushed so that I recalled from the 80's days that . . . I have never regretted lugging MORE POWER to a gig. I have, however, regretted not having enough power!

I am currently looking for MORE POWER to replace the SWR and hook up to 1X15 and 2X10's

that's my $0.02 Canadian - worth about $0.0134 of your currency.

16. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    You can use an additional 8-ohm cab with the GK. It is quite punchy. I have one for sale if you'd like. It's brand new too. I do it with a warranty too! Selling it cheap! The reason for the sale is that I just don't need it. I have a 1001rb combo and a 700 combo. :) Those work well.
  17. rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    OH MY GOD! Where did you find this post?
    This was my first post...back when I joined both Harmony Central and Talkbass looking for my first decent combo. I've since signed in under another name because it had been so long since returning here (I became a Harmony Central regular) that I forgot my screen name. This is a blast from the past.

18. rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    For what it's worth...I ended up actually getting a GK 700rb 210 combo. Loved it until I really started gigging with a band and found that at gig volume it sounded thin, sterile and didn't move nearly enough air. I ended up pushing this thing so hard that it would simply fart out during sets. I finally hated it so much I got rid of it, bought an Eden WT400 head and a temporary cab while some life changes had prevented me from really playing seriously.

Now, as per other threads here, I'm shopping about for a cab for my Eden head...likely an Aguilar GS112. Within the last week I've fallen in love with Aguilar's stuff...and would consider even getting rid of my Eden head for the DB359.

My basses have also improved significantly since this original post...and my skills have likewise...thankfully.
  19. That's genius Andy!! Genius!!!!!

and I bet you wish you hadn't gone GK;)