Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 400RB/210 or GK 400RB/115... HELP ME OUT!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk33, Dec 16, 2001.

1. dirk33

dirk33

Dec 11, 2001
    Chicago Illinois
    I have been looking at the fender bassman 100 and the gk 400RB amps for a while now and have decided on the GK. But now i have the problem of choosing the 400RB/210 or the 400RB/115. Please tell me what you would think is the best. I need the amp for gigs at schools, small clubs, and just small gigs, nothing big. I think this amp will be plenty loud i just want the best sound, so help me out! thanks a lot

2. Laddieo

Laddieo

Dec 16, 2001
    Aridzona
    In general, IMO, 10's will produce better mids (which is what we hear more easily) and 15's will produce better lows (which require more power to hear).

Can you try them both and see which one you like best? If you can't, then consider what you have to compete with and what your function will be and how best to support the music you'll be playing. Today I use a 410 and a 115, but I used to use a pair of 215 cabs. It's all about the music and how to support it.

If you're going to stay on the bottom, the 15 might work out best. If you want to step out in front once in a while, it might be worth giving up a little bottom in favor of some better mids.

GK doesn't give up any stats on their cabs, but I notice that the 210 is smaller and 8 lbs lighter (but that makes sense, since it's got about 20 fewer sq inches of speaker space to deal with).

Are you going to be carrying it around in your back seat, or trunk? Do yourself a favor and get yourself some wheels right away. No matter which amp you get. A folding dolly, or a floor dolly will work fine. Or if you're handy, you can pick up some casters and woodscrews at HomeDepot. Look at some other cabinets that have casters on them, and do it yourself. Just don't get near the electronics!

Have Fun!

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've owned and used a 400RB rack unit for the last ten years. I also have a 2x10" cabinet and a 1x15". Unless you're playing really loud, you get better tone and definition out of the 210. For louder gigs, I use both.

4. Laddieo

Laddieo

Dec 16, 2001
    Aridzona
  5. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    musician's friend has the 400rb210 combo paired with a 115 extension for 999. if you can swing the $ that might be the way to go.

6. dirk33

dirk33

Dec 11, 2001
    Chicago Illinois
    Come on, is anyone else out there who has any suggestions on which would be better? i really need to know soon and would like your ideas. thanks

7. dirk33

dirk33

Dec 11, 2001
    Chicago Illinois
    come on, someone help me out

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    DIRK182,

Several someones already have. Since your profile is blank, it's kind of hard to tell what kind of music you play, and therefore impossible to know what kind of sound you're looking for.

Personally, I'd go for the 210, since I feel that 15" speakers are mushy by themselves. The alternative that MAJORMALTLIQUOR suggested would be even better if you can swing the cash.

9. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    get the 10's. add another cab later.

10. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    answer: 2x10's.....go forth and purchase young
    man!

11. hammong

hammong

Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    I originally purchased a GK 1001RB/210 cabinet with the expectation of adding a second cabinet down the road. Well, I'm now "down the road" and picked up a RBH 115 cab to assist the low-end of my 2x10 in the combo. Here are my observations:

The 400RB/210 uses the same speakers and cabinet that the 1001RB/210 does - and they sound pretty good! My only gripe is that when I turn them up, I didn't quite get the punch from the low-B string on my 5-string bass that I wanted. Adding the 1x15 RBH cab seems to have FIXED this problem entirely.

I'm getting quite a bit more perceived mid-range from the arrangement too, no doubt because the 1001RB/210 is sitting 2 feet higher off the ground.

http://www.rints.com/hammond/images/gk-bass.jpg

Greg

12. what would it do if i added a 1x12 with the 2x10? would that help the lows a little, or is it not even worth doing?