Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 400RB/210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wannabe_bassist, Apr 13, 2002.

1. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    I bought a Hartke B30 but took it back because it was horrible. So I picked up this GK instead. Wow, great sound and loud.

Should I add a 1x15 to this or a 4x10?

2. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    I currently have a Bag End S-15D and a Trace Elliot 2x10 hooked up to a GK400RB - Sounds great.

I personally would get the 15" rather than the 4x10. Much easier on your back too ! You already have the 2x10 for that crisp high end. :p

3. My 2x10 And Eden 2x12 with my GK 400RB have always sounded better than my entire Mesa rack set up. 2x12's have a wide bottom and are very solid and puncy. Less "floppy" than a 15" IMO and make for terrific stand-alones. Cheap ones available.....

4. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    I know the obvious difference, but being a beginner I often see folks saying that to get the "bottom end" you have to have a 1x15 while the "punchy highs" come from the 10's.....etc.

Could someone explain that to me?

Thanks in advance!

5. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Best thing is to go into a store and hear it for yourself. If you're not that confident in your playing let the guy in the store play through the different setups. I used to use two 15's previously but when I added the 10's it added clarity to the higher notes and tightness to the lower notes. The Bag End 15 I use now is very punchy compared to the EV's I previously used. Not flabbly at all. So it also depends alot on which 15 you use. I like the current speaker combination.

Never used a 12 so I can't comment.

As is usually the recommendation here, let your ears decide.

6. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    The guy who sold me the GK was in dire need of a bath. This dude smelled so bad it was not even funny.

I told them I wanted the bass in an unopened box and he said "sure". But at the counter I could easily see the box was re-taped and he explained it away as "...their folks open all boxes to make sure everything is there from the factory..." Of course, the only thing in the box is the amp and I think you would know it was in the box just by lifting the thing up. I get home and the amp appeared to be OK and I checked the input connection and it had no scratches in or around it so it would appear that no one even plugged into it. But the manual was missing......

7. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    GK is apparently having a sale and you can buy the two together for $999. I opted not to since while still a beginner, I wanted a nice amp, but not go too crazy.....just yet.

I may suck, but at least I will suck on good equipment! :)

Why would I add a 1x15 instead of just another 2x10? Is there another dimension of sound that the 1x15 delivers that is not as easily produced by a 2x10 or 4x10?

8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Hey! First of all nobody sucks here!!:D

Here's why I think you should get a 15" as an add-on for you 2 x 10:
    Sound waves are "divided" into Hz (hertz)-lower-
    and Khz (kiloherz)-Higher frequencies.
    So the 10's got your back for the higher freq's, and the 15" will add a nice round "thonk" for the lower ends of the sound spectrum.

Adding more 10's will give you additonal definition, that's why some players use the 8 x10's-
    But for the best overall sound for your rig, especially with the voicing of the 400RB head,
    I think the 15" is definitly the ticket.
    BTW- you made a very good choice- that rig could be all you need for a long while- have fun!;)

9. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    I second that LarryJ.

The 15 will add some "Balls"

10. 2x12's have a wider bottom, move more air and will give you far more versatilty than a 15" will. (IMO)