Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 400RB/210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Toasted, May 26, 2003.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Im considering buying the GK 400RB/210. it is 150watts to the internal speakers and a further 100 to an extension cab at 8ohms. ive just started playing in a rock band (ie me drummer guitarist + 100watt half stack) and im not too sure if this will be loud enough.

the only comparison i have is that i played a 300 watt carsbro bass viper with a noisy drummer and two marshall fullstacks and i did have to move the viper off notch one to be heard well above the others.

you all seem to know alot more than me so im open to your suggestions for toher combos. I looked into the SWR super redhead but at £1200 its about double out of my price range :bawl:.

(btw in the UK GK400RB/210 = £585 = U$D959)

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I haven't tested out hte GK400210 combo, but I do have a GK1001RB 2x10 combo, as well as a 115RBH extension cab. The higher output is at 4 ohms (assuming you add an 8 ohm ext cab to your 8 ohm 2x10). My GK210 by itself has plenty of power and output, and with two guitarists 100 w cabs, and a loud drummer, the 210s held up well. My settings were 6 on the preamp out, and the master woofer volume was set to 4 on the loudest days. I had monster cut through with just the 10s, but I wanted to add some more low end boom, so I added the 115RBH. with the added cone area, I gained more volume than I expected, and now I don't crank the volume up past 3 on most occations. I have the ability to get as loud as I would ever want to(in a basement, that is). The point of my story is that you will have a very similar setup as mine, and if I am barely using 35% of my amp, you should have enough volume when you crank it up to 60% or so. It's always a personal opinion though, but I am very happy with my setup now. Of course, I didn't get the bottom end bass bump that I wanted until I got the BDDI. I think that pedal is the secret for a great sound.
    Good luck,
    Wes