1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 400RB + 4x10 vs. tech 21 sansamp going direct (live application)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soulgolem, Mar 16, 2013.

1. soulgolem

soulgolem

Dec 7, 2012
    Hi all, I'm having kind of a dilemma.

I play bass and sing in an electronic influenced band, lots of keyboards on stage, drum machine etc. but with a rock band philosophy (no laptops, everything is played live).

We've been recently offered gigs outside of town and since we are limited on transportation, we need to figure out what piece of equipment to cut back from our setup.

Because we have electronic drums and bass synths, we carry out a pair of subs (Yorkville LS200p) they fit nicely under the keyboard amps (or provided monitors) and give us the needed punch for the bassdrum and also support the low end for when I'm on bass synth duties. Since I play electric bass also in more than half the songs, I also carry out a GK 400RB with a 4x10 for that. I wish it had a little bit more of SVT character to it.

Then i thought about the VT Bass pedal, since we already have mains and subs on stage, maybe I don't need a bass amp at all. Maybe the VT Pedal could provide the bass guitar voiced preamp to our sound system.

Then I remembered, back when I used to play guitar a lot in many bands, how I hated guitar modelling, although it's been a long time.

now the question : Does anyone have live experience with using the VT Bass pedal instead of an amp ? more specifically with subs and not just a 12" monitor ? Is it a convincing, serious option ? or is it just something you'd use if you don't have a choice ?

Thanks !
    Francis.

2. ERMAL

ERMAL

Jun 20, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Hey Soulgolem,
    When my GBE1200 was having some noise issues due to a loose preamp tube (which have now been remedied), I found myself using only my VT Deluxe and IEMs for a few gigs, with great results.
    Our PA consists of 4 Community S-215S subs and 2 Sonic mid/highs. The only issue I had was using the IEMs vs. the feel of an amp. (After 30 years, old habits die hard.)
    I was reassured when our guitarist/soundman told me "I know you're having trouble hearing your bass, but it sounds badass out front".
    Of course, as with everything on TB, YMMV. For reference, we play everything from Cheap Trick, Depeche Mode, Katy Perry, New Order etc...
    Good luck.

3. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Why not use the line out from the 400RB for FOH and the cabinet for you to hear yourself, onstage? With a goof FOH system, the speaker is only for you and anyone in the band who wants/needs to hear you, anyway. It will add almost nothing for the FOH and a large bass rig is only going to cause problems when the FOH system can produce all frequencies.

4. soulgolem

soulgolem

Dec 7, 2012
    Thanks for the advice guys. I really want the bass to have a nice presence on stage, does the VT Bass in a PA that's on stage (just as an amp would be) produce a bass tone that sounds like you actually are playing an amp on stage ?

Good idea about using the 400RB as just a preamp, could work, but if the VT Bass has better tone, I might go for that.

Also, are there any other preamp only pedals/gear for bass ? If i can bring something smaller than a bass head, it'd be even better.

5. soulgolem

soulgolem

Dec 7, 2012
    Today I tried the GK 400RB as only a preamp going into a PA, it sounded pretty cool, but as I suspected, it needs a little bit more color to be used this way, so I think I'll try the VT Bass deluxe to see if I like that.

Now I just need to wait til i see a used one for sale somewhere, do these things come up often in ads/ebay ? there seems to be only stores selling them at the moment on the bay.

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Tech21 is releasing the VT in a rack form factor as well. I believe ETA was April.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    VT Deluxe is pretty cool. I have one. But I've been thinking of going back to the old standard version because I don't need the presets anymore and it's kind of big for a dirt box, which is what I use it for these days. They also have a VT Bass DI coming out that has a blend knob + DI. For solid state, it does a real good job at giving you that tube amp vibe. Not quite the same of course, but better than a regular solid state DI IMHO.

8. soulgolem

soulgolem

Dec 7, 2012
    I'm set on the new Bass VT DI. I don't really have a choice, can't bring a bass amp anymore to gigs, too much stuff won't fit in a hyundai accent :meh: thinking about adding a big sub to our band's stage PA, see my other thread about this. It's really a puzzle because I can't really try before I buy since I want to buy used.

9. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I would reinforce your decision to go for the VT Deluxe. It's very cool. The only alternative might be the Tone Hammer stomp which is also excellent.

SansAmp is probably not what you want for an electronic influenced band as it can be pretty high end gnarly.

10. soulgolem

soulgolem

Dec 7, 2012
    Thought about the deluxe version for a long time, but ended up realizing I'd rather have knobs that react instantaneously than those like in the deluxe so I can set my live sound perfect for the room instead of changing every patch. I don't think I'd tweak the sound that much live. Worst case scenario, I'd just put it on top of one of my synths and tweak it there.

11. You want the new one with both DI and effect out.

Subs on stage can result in lousy low bass in the room due to rear wall reflection being out of phase.

12. soulgolem

soulgolem

Dec 7, 2012
    Would I be better off with a sub that doesn't go that low then (QSC K-Sub as opposed to KW181) ?

Otherwise, what would you suggest to have a full bass, bass synth and kick sound on stage ?

13. Take it to the other thread you started.