1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 400RB-II vs 400RB-IV - DI sounds quality?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blaxquid, Oct 4, 2013.

1. blaxquid

blaxquid

Jul 18, 2013
    Hey guys,
    i recently got a GK 400RB-II that I really *LOVE* the sound of when pushing my Mesa PH210.

Thing is, I live in an appartment, so I also like to use the direct out (1/4" unbal) through my Apogee Duet, to go through my monitors and/or headphones. But the tone isn't quite there as it seems to have a very prominent sizzle in the high end that sounds like clipping, even though, there is none. I checked the gain on the head and on the interface, nothing clips - but I get the "sizzle" even when it's way below the yellow on my mixer.

SO, I've located a 400RB-IV locally and was wondering if the quality of the DI is THAT much better (about a 200$ diff. in price of what I paid for my 400RB-II head).

Aaaahhh if the Markbass comp actually came with a DI like the prototype.... :D

2. The II's direct out comes from the power amp, unbuffered and you could have a noisy resistor (I would also recommend a low Z to high Z matching transformer) . The IV is a fully buffered DI switchable from pre to post EQ (in the preamp before power amp).