1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 400RB III + Peavey 410 = ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AMp'D.2play, Oct 30, 2010.

1. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    I've spent at least 1 day a week for the past 2 months trying head/cab combinations, looking to upgrade. My original budget was $600-ish, but having made the "mistake" of trying nicer stuff, that number potentially tripled. :D

2 or 3 days ago, I came across a GK400RB III head for a little over $200, and just yesterday, a local shop owner (where I take lessons) called me & said he just got in a used, Peavey 4x10 from 2007. It's too big to keep in his tiny shop, so he's looking to get rid of it quick, i.e. preferably today, @ $250. Funny thing was, when he called me, I had just clicked on the SWR Product page to look up 350 & 350x info not more than 20 seconds earlier. Don't know the model name of the 4x10 just yet.

The only way I'd be able to demo this combination would be to buy the GK head after trying it at one store, and then bringing it to the other shop to see how it sounds thru the Peavey cab.

So, I can grab this GK/Peavey pairing this weekend, or continue saving until after the holidays, and go for one of the nicer setups I've tried, which would be far more than I'd probably ever need, but darn, they sound great!

I've never tried any cabs from Peavey. Their cabs seem to be considered good bang-for-the-buck equipment, indestructable, albeit normally weighing a ton. The GK 400RB series heads are almost universally praised, from what I've read.

What can I expect from either/both of these components, especially in tandem?

Brief history: playing less than a year, progressing slowly but surely, never gigged (yet, but it's a possibility down the road), and using an acoustic b20 practice amp. Started on an Ibanez GSR200; now have a Lakland 44-02, which I love. Most of what I enjoy playing would be considered classic rock, 60's forward. Currently trying to transcribe some Peter Gabriel stuff (Tony Levin). My lessons usually cover jazz & blues, atm. All almost exclusively finger-style.

As a final note, the units I've really liked so far have been either a Traynor YBA200-2 or TecAmp Puma 500 head w/ either a Aguilar GS212 or Berg HT322 (used) cab.

2. PJMiDi

PJMiDi

Feb 27, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I can only comment on the head. I have the 400rb original and its a tank. I payed right around 200 for it i believe so that seems like a fair price for a 400rb III. I personally love the sound of the thing too; its got that sound people usually are looking for from gk's but its a little warmer than the 700rb/1001rb imo. More similar the the 800rb

3. Try it out, if you like the sound i would go for it. But I lack duckets, if get it you would have one of the words most indestructible rigs.

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

This should make for a pretty decent sounding, dependable, reasonably priced rig that should give you many years of service.
    One thing I'd suggest your checking...the ohms of the cabinet, 8 ohms or 4 ohms.
    (I think), the G.K. 400 series is 240 watts at 4 ohms, 180 watts at 8 ohms.
    If you use a 8 ohm cabinet with that head as a stand-alone and depending on the volume level of the group you maybe working with down the road, you can use up 180 watts at 8 ohms pretty fast.
    If it is 4 ohms, that's the only cab you can use with that head...
    If it's 8 ohms you can add another 8 ohm cab later when funds permit.

5. I'm using the 400 RB MK4 and a Peavey 410.
    My 410 is 4 ohms and I love the sound of this rig.
    Peavey 410's are way under rated.

6. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    On second thought ...

Thanks for the input, fellas, but after playing through the Peavey w/ some of the heads the shop had available, and going back to play some of the other gear I previously tried, I said to myself that I know what I really want, and should quit messing around and just go for it.

Put a deposit down on the TecAmp Puma 500 & Bergantino HT322. :hyper:

The Peavey did sound good, and with an SWR 350x I was able to get a nice growly tone. If it's still available in a few months when I find out if I'm going to pay the IRS or get a refund, I may get a 2nd setup for gigs at seedy places! :bag: