1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 400RB III vs other versions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MobileHolmes, Jan 9, 2018.

1. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I’m looking for a backup head and have sort of been jonesing for an RB 400 for a while (I wanted something I can push into a little grind at slightly lower volumes).

Tone wise and build quality wise, are all the 400RB heads pretty comparable? I know they added some features (countour knob instead of switches)and changed the cosmetics but the pre and power amp are basically the same, right?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Curious to hear if anybody has any better specifics on this front. While I've played a handful of 800RBs and older 400RBs as backlines, my real familiarity with GK RBs comes primarily from the last two generations.

Speaking generally, even between those last two versions that are really pretty similar, there are slight component upgrades in the later models (not even counting the output transformer for more power), and IME the tone with knobs at noon has evolved slightly.

From the earliest models, you might be able to find some gut shots, but I think things changed a good bit - including going from heat-sink cooled to fan cooled.

With that being said, in my experience they're all still more alike than different as far as sound and feel are concerned, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up really any of the versions. For what its worth, while others will disagree with me, I personally find the generation that includes the 400RB-iii that you noted to be the most attractive of the bunch...

3. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Thanks. I found a couple of those otettt cheap so that may be enough to get me to pull the trigger