1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 400RB-IV Power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass-4-God, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Would a GK 400RB-IV with 2-8 ohm cabs be enough for a 300 to 400 seat capacity church with no PA. We have a an organ, drummer and a keyboard player. The cabs are the 2x10 and 2x12 that I bought from Pete Skjold a few years ago, the one's that were built by Dr. Bass. Wondering if the 400RB-IV would be enough?

2. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    I assume - yes. The power of all Gallien-Krueger heads is sufficient for most needs.

3. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Any other 400RB-IV users?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The amp should be plenty, but using a pair of the 212's would certainly be louder, and more even sounding. Should be fine with what you have though.

5. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    I agree. I have one and used to push either a 2x12 or a pair of 1x12's. You may want to keep your input volume lower if you don't want the GK grind as prominent. The 400RBIV allows you to "hit the rails" sooner than the other RB series heads if that's what you're looking for. Hope this helps.
    Take Care,
    Brent

6. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well the cabs are very good cabs they were designed to Pete's specifcations, very efficient.

7. You have an honest 300 watts RMS at low distortion, I really don't see any trouble with decent cabs.

8. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    You'll be good.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I use an older 400RB (200 watt model) and one 212 rig to play bars and outdoor patio type gigs at volumes I would think are a bit too loud for many churches....even 300 seaters with bodies in them.

Many churches are pretty reverberant, and you don't need a whole bunch of output for the sound to carry.

You should certainly be fine with that amp and 2 cabs, and may find that the 212 by itself is enough.

10. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Good info

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    For what it's worth, I grew up Wisconsin Synod Lutheran, so, more traditional. Organist and everybody in the congregation sings all the time, we were all taught to sing from little on. There was no drumset, electric guitars, etc. The church with a packed house probaboy held 120-150?

Knowing what I know now, if I were to put a band in that church, you'd be talking unmic'd drumset playing rods, guitar player 15 watts tube or 30-50 solid state and one speaker, bass player a 115 combo with no need for more than 80 watts, and vocals would be a pair of 10" + tweets and you could still make that too loud if people didn't control themselves.

So, double the seating capacity and your still talking drummer gets to use real sticks but doesn't need mics, guitar player gets to up the power a bit but still only needs one speaker, vocals could step up to a little fuller sounding 12" + tweet that could take a little more power/get a little louder and that 400rb with a 210 or 212 would carry it fine.

Now, if you're talking about a baptist revival sort of "concert that's also a church service", you're getting up to the sort of stuff you use for louder secular gigs. But, without PA help for the bass, the same amp, probably the 212 by itself but undoubtedly the full stack would still carry it....and sound good doing so.

12. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Anyone else gig the 400RB-IV in any other venues, just curious as to how flexiable that particular amp can be.

13. For myself, I've always found that particular amp to be somewhat lacking and much prefer the 700RB-II, which has very similar voicing but more flexibility and more output.