gk 400rb IV vs gk 700rb II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spockrock79, Jul 10, 2005.

1. spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    having played both of these heads this past weekend at gc i have caught the gk fever...i played both of these heads through a gk 410sbx cab and loved the sound. the 700rb seemed to have a bit more low end than the 400rb, i set both eqs flat at first and adjusted to my taste but couldn't get the xtra bottom from the 400rb. could the 700rb extra bottom end be attributed to the more headroom it provides with more watts? i currently run an ashdown mag300 into a dr bass rx212. do you guys think that the 212 would make up for the extra lows lacking from the 400rb? i don't really see myself ever needing the 480 watts from the 700rb. i currently just jam with one of my friends who has a 60watt 212 fender combo. we mostly play indie rockish folky music where nothing is really cranked to ear peircing volumes. i've been planning to get a 115 cab in the future as well(preferrably bag end) and have always loved the sound of a 400rb into a 15. i'll probably be pulling the trigger on one of these heads soon and putting the ashdown on the chopping block-what would you guys recommend the 400rb or 700rb?
  2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    From what you say your requirements are it sounds like the 400 RB should do well. Yes, I notice a slight increase in bottom end with the higher power GK amps (400 RB vs 2000 RB) but nothing that concerned me much. I used the 400 RB many times with either a single 15 or a pair of 15 cabinets and really liked the sound I was getting.

If you can afford the higher price of the 700 RB then you might consider it as there's not a huge difference in weight and that way you'll be able to handle anything if your needs change.
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It sounds like the 400rb would be good enough *for now*. If you can afford it, I would get the 700rb. I have only ever used the 800rb (which is close to the 400rb) and it is the absolute minimum I would want to use with one efficient 8 ohm speaker. But this is in a rock trio.

You never know when you will be asked to play with another band, and the guitar player has a 100W Marshal :eek: You will need the 700rb :)
  4. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    I just bought a GK 700 rb mkII.
    At first I said the same,I don't need all this power
    (my only gig is church once a week) but then my wife reminded me of my favorite saying:

It's better to have it and not need it,then to need it and not have it.

So I'm glad I bought the GK700 .
  5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've owned both and I've gigged with the 700RB-II and I'd say you're far better off ordering the 700 than the 400 even if the 400 currently fills your needs because you never know when your needs will change. For the best price go to www.riksmusic.com, they have the best prices on GK gear.
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I agree. I bought a 700RB-II a few months ago, not really sure if I'd need the extra power over the previous version. Then I had to play a rock show with just a 1x12" cab, and the extra headroom was critical. After that, I was asked to sub in a band for an outdoor show, and it came through once again. You never know! So if the extra cash isn't a problem, get the 700RB-II. It's a fantastic head.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm still using the 400RB-III (LITTLE brother) and it's great for me. However, I think a 700RB-II might be in my near future. Unless I go over to the 800RB again, though it's not much more powerful.
  8. spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    thanks for the input everyone...i went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 700rb from riksmusic today...thanks for the riksmusic.com website suggestion...saved me 100 bucks...should have my new toy early next week :hyper:
  9. I'd also go the 700RB II, the extra headroom is noticable to you, in sound- then you'll be kicking yourself for getting the 400RB IV in a few weeks/months or what ever. Extra power can never go to far astray :) So spend the extra $100 / $150 and you'll be thanking yourself later donw the track...

Good to see anyther GK buyer :bassist: Gallien Kruegers plan to take over the world is nearly complete! :bag:

....Ohhhh whooops I wasn't ment to say that bit :p
  10. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Yes, go the 700RB

Well worth the money!