1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 400RB-IV vs. GK 700RBII combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MascisMan, Oct 17, 2006.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Im referring to both amps in the 2x10 combo format.

Is there any difference between the two besides power (wattage) and the ability to bi-amp?

Are both preamps identical?

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Well, there's the speakon outputs as well, which the 400RB-IV does not have. However, since you're not bi-amping, it's not an issue.

In addition, the 700RB-II/210 seems to be slightly larger in dimensions.

The 700RB-II/210 also has a tweeter, while the other does not (again, part of the bi-amp).

In regards to the speakers... the 400RB combo has two 100W 10" speakers, which together are 8 Ohms (allowing for one additional cabinet to be added on, or you could just bypass the built-in speakers and use two cabs). The 700RB combo has the same setup, except that they're 200W speakers instead (for a total of 400W).

The 700RB combo is 78 lbs., and the 400RB combo is 65 lbs.

More differences than you'd think :D

Oh, and as for the preamp... it's supposed to be identical on all current GK Artist Series amps (400RB-IV, 700RB-II, 1001RB-II, 2001RB), so I'd say yes.

3. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    thanks for the details!

Im playing in a southern rock band with 2 guitars and drums. One guitarist plays through a Mesa Rocket 440 (4x10) and the other plays through a Peavey Classic 50 combo (2x12). The bass plays mainly a support role, keeping the groove with the drummer.

This combo would be basically for a stage monitor. Would I have a problem hearing myself with the 400RB-IV or would I be better off shelling out the extra clams for the 700?

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    You'll be better off with the 700, which should allow you to be heard in that mix, even at pretty high volume. The 700's amplifier section is a real beast. (I have the head.) If your guitarists let it rip with those rigs, the 400 might get lost. Extra headroom is worth the cash if you can afford it, and it will allow a fuller low end to your tone as well.

5. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I haven't played both combos, but I have played both heads. I find the 400's tone to be quite nice, but lacks power. It struggles to be heard with other loud musicians. The 700 is voiced more modern IMO, not quite as rich, but punchy and clean, and can easely cut through the other musicians. I would go with the 700 for gigs.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +1 to the previous comments - the 700RB has all the power you need, and the flexibility of a tweeter if you ever need to engage it for extra clarity, slap bass styles, etc.

7. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    It appears that the 700RB has ports at the bottom of the cab and the 400RB does not...

Anyone notice a tonal difference because of this? Its obvious that this makes the 700 a bit bigger/taller.

8. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    ugggh

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021