GK 400RB IV vs. Yorkville XS400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zapp, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    OK gang
    give me advice. Never played through a Yorkie XS400 but I read the raves and notice there are VERY few used ones for sale. Have played through GK 400RB II, III, etc and like the shape for the instruments and cabs I use. trying right now the Behringer BX4500 head and its ok but there's a punch and crispness in the GK that I think is better.
    Have played in the past Hartke 350, Edent WT400, my mainstay baseline has always been a beatup old workingman 100.

Sheer raw power is meaningless to me as I can only use about half volume no matter what

Between the GK and Yorkville, which one do I buy and why?

2. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    All I can say is that I'm thrilled with my XS400. Some prefer the XS800 which, aside from coming out after I bought the 400, is simply too much amp for me. I've never pushed this amp past 3-4. I've been a solid state guy since I began playing 20 years ago & this hybrid head (to me at least) is the best of both worlds. The "snap" of SS that I'm accustomed to coupled with the fat, growly warmth that only tubes can get you....and you can blend that mix to your ear's desire.
    I play 3 Ricks, a Gibson T-bird, a Fender Jazz & a G&L ASAT through it & they all sound fantastic.
    It's no '73 SVT...but what is?! But for a blend of modern/vintage tone, looks & reliability, at a price the normal guy can afford - you can't beat it
    The Yorkie stuff is the best bang for your buck & the best kept secret in bass amplification IMHO. Plus, their warranty is unbelievable.

Of the other amps you mentioned:
    *I've only played GK combos & wasn't impressed...
    *Never played through a Hartke, though I have their Bass Attack pedal & I couldn't tell you the last time it was out of the box...
    * Played an Eden WT800 at a festival gig I did over the summer & was very disappointed (though I didn't really get to tweak it at all)
    *Not a fan of Behringer gear at all

I say Yorkie, but that's all up to you. Good luck on your quest!
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm on the exact opposite ground loendmaestro is: I've played Yorkvilles and thought they were rather average. I LOVE GK, and play a 400RB-III, have played the I, II and IV's as well. Just as good.

I would also say that GK's quality is unbeatable, they're great for the money (maybe not quite Yorkie because GK has more of a name recognition) and frankly GK's customer service and warranty is unbeatable.
  4. Wow, the WT800 is the only amp I would consider trading my XS400 in for. I was REALLY impressed with how warm is sounded. Now, having said that the XS400 is one great amp, less than half the price of the WT800.. sooooo..... And yes, you can get some warmth out of it. I had it connected to an XS808 and it nearly blew my head clean off. I would advise trying some different tubes though... I'm currently trying out a few and I've noticed an increase in warmth for a very modest outlay.

Never played a GK.

- Andrew
  5. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I of course defer to Herr Moderator, but I will say I never got the warmth I desired out of the GK combos I've played. Ahhhh, the beauty of opinions!
    And in response to Andrew: The Eden I played was at a big festival gig where it was simply the backline. You know, one band off & the next band on - immediately. So I know I'm not giving the Eden a fair assessment. I was so excited to play through that amp, but as stated earlier, was not able to "tweak" it the way one should. I'd love to give it another shot...

I've been reading about changing out the tube on the XS400 also...someone said a 12AY7 may be better? By someone other than Sovtek?

I'd love to hear some opinions on that!
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I've had great luck with GK. The Gk front end does it for me tonally. The DI is clean and clear. Probably the best bang for the buck out there. I can't comment on the Yorkie stuff. I'm running the 1001 rb II at the moment. I'll be adding in a 400 shortly as a permanent fixture in my drummer's rehersal/studio space. That one will drive a 1x15 JBL in a Music Man cabinet. One less thing to lug to rehersal...

I have yet to be impressed by anyone's combo ... My feeling is that there are too many design compromises that have to be made in order to make the box marketable in terms of price and size. Those compromises come at the expense of tonality IMO. If I were in the market for something in a similar vein to the wm15, I'd buy a Bag End 1x15 and the 400 rb II. Small, light, portable and tonally on another level entirely.

To be fair I haven't played with the iamp combos. I would expect those to be close to amazing. Of course they are on another level price wise.
  7. Yeah, I've been in those situations :(

Here's a thread specifically about the tubes in the XS400: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149921

I haven't heard about the 12AY7 - thanks for the info.

- Andrew
  8. Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    would $375 be a fair price for a used XS400 in good shape? or like 325??? I know I can get 400RB's for low 200's.
    I'm a cheapie, so never [almost] by new!

the GK's are very plentiful, the XS400H is not, so spotting a good used one, I'm willing to take the risk cause I feel it would be easy to sell if I find it not to my tastebuds

9. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Three & a quarter sounds fair to me...
  10. baritones

Oct 5, 2005
    Amen, brudda!! Im a GK man till they stop making em and I can't find parts anymore. Ive got a 400RB as well and Ive never played through anything better. Its lightweight and has never let me down. I haven't heard of Yorkie but Im not about to change now.
  11. Go for the XS400. A lot nicer IMO. I'm playiny the 115 Yorkie combo and it's great. I'm not such a fan of GK gear. If you can find a second hand XS400 then go for it. If you can't, still look into maybe buying a new one. For the price you won't find anything better.