1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 400RB Output jack issue, work around question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lwdemons, Mar 2, 2008.

1. First of all, thanks to everyone here for answers to so many questions I never had to ask. Unfortunately, I don't see answer for this one, but I think it might be pretty easy.

I am running a gk 400rb iii combo 2x10, on top of a 8 ohm hartke 4x10. The problem is one of the output jacks is giving me a static/distortion sound when I sustain notes or play softly. It seems fine when pumping 1/8th notes, it just gets noisy when things get slow & quiet. It is also fine when there is no sound. The other jack output works fine. I have switched cabs on jacks to confirm, it is just the one jack.

I have tried cleaning out the jack, and gently bending the contact points to provide a tighter connection.

I have 2 questions. #1) obviously, is there an easy fix for the jack? I am not comfotable replacing it, since it is directly on the board.

#2) If I cannot fix the jack, can I;
    run from the good jack to the hartke, from the parallel jack on the hartke back to the combo speakers? Will this screw the impedance or load on the amp?

The combo speakers are wired with a male 1/4" jack, so I will have to grab a female/female connector.

Thanks so much for your help!!!
    John

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    You can use option #2 forever if you want. Electrically it is the same as using both jacks.

Chances are a speaker cord or plug has taken a good tug while plugged into the speaker jack of the amp, and has broken the solder joints to the circuit board. IMHO you are wise to not be comfortable replacing it. There is a chance that it might just need to be re-soldered, but there is also a chance of circuit board damage. And if the jack is damaged, removing it without damaging the board is tricky.

3. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    It's really not that uncommon a problem. The pots are attached to the board as well. If you can get the part from GK, it's not that hard a replacement. The tricky part with multi pins soldered to the board, is getting them hot enough to move. A solder sucker comes in quite handy. If you don't feel comfortable trying it yourself, any competent repair tech can do it for you. My guess is the board is fine and the jack has just worn out.

4. I knew I could count on a quick and helpful answer, but you guys blow me away - thanks so much!!!!! Looks like I'll just run from the head down to the hartke and back up to the combo speakers for now.

John