1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 400RB + Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldrocker, Apr 29, 2006.

1. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I have an old GK 400RB and an SWR SM500. I really like the sound better fom my GK but I need the power of the SWR.

Could I use the GK as a pre with a separate power amp to get the sound and power I need? Do any of you guys do this?

Or should I just sell my SWR and 400RB and get a GK700RBII or 1001RBII?

TIA

2. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    Why not just pick up a used 800 RB? I am curious about this too... Can you slave 400 RB/800 RBs?

3. I just bought a 1001rbII today, it's a loud mammajamma. 700w @4ohms, it'll blow your 400rb to smithereens.:D
    C7

4. I'm curious too...any takers?

5. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi oldrocker, I see you are from Long Island .... I just picked up a new 700RBII from GC, they also have a nice used 800RB there for pretty cheap I almost picked it up myself,
    thought I would throw this out here if you do want to go that route. its the one right outside of the bass room. They have a second one inside thats all beat up. But the one right outside is decent.
    - Tom

6. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Look on the back of the amp, what do the input and outputs say?

• Speakers (two jacks) "4 ohm total"
    • Direct (one jack)
    • Send and Return (two jacks total)

7. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Hmmm... I'm guessing the "Send" and "Return" jacks are an effects loop not a preamp out or a power amp in. I certainly may be wrong about that. But, if that's the case, then you can't just use the preamp on the 400rb with a different power amp. However, I would wait to take the word of someone with more knowledge than I have before you discount that option as a possibility.

8. Dudaronamous

Dudaronamous Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Bothell, WA
    "Direct" is a line out. I've used it to feed the PA before. Seems like this line out would send signal to a power amp.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yeah, you can do it using the DI in post mode but... You'd be better off snagging a 1001 RB II and using that assuming that 450 in to 8 and 700 into 4 ohms is enough for you.

At $600 delivered, the 1001 rb II is hard to beat is you like the GK sound. I do...

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    In a pinch, the effects send also works. I did this for a long time with a biamped rig - the GK running the highs, but I had to run one channel of the crossover in the effects loop.

11. Grooveman1961

Grooveman1961

May 8, 2006
    Hi Old Rocker

I have both the 800 and the 400. There is something cool about the 400rb, the direct out is taken off of the power amp output! There's a little voltage divider circuit to reduce the power, but basically your getting the same signal that's sent to the speakers. Youd get all the tone of the preamp, boost circuit, and power amp.

The 400 takes its effect loop signal before the boost circuit, so you'll get the effect of your contour switches and tone controls, but not your boost circuit. It will sound like having the boost bypassed. It will provide over one volt, which should be enough to drive most power amps to full output.

This voltage thing would be the downside of using the DI, I think there would only be .6 volts available, so if the power amp you chose is not very sensitive, you may not get full zoom!

The 800 rb is a little different, in that it takes its direct out before the boost circuit as well.

Hope this helps.

12. Would it be possible to plug the direct out into a, say, Sadowski pre/DI box and then into the poweramp, or is this a stupid idea?

13. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Thank's every one for your coments and suggestions.

Yeah, I think 450/700 Watts is enough for me :p

Where can I get it for $600 delivered?

14. Grooveman1961

Grooveman1961

May 8, 2006

Yes , you could do this, and if the pre/di box you use has a little gain to it, you should be ok.