Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 400RB question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by overman, Feb 7, 2005.

1. overman

overman

Feb 7, 2005
    Hello all! Im a newbie here so forgive me if this has been asked before. I have a newer model GK 400rb. I have been tweeking it for about 6 months and I just can not get the tone out of it. I was wondering who, if anyone, here uses a newer 400rb and how you set yours up. I play through an Ampeg classic 1x15 and a Pegasus Probass 2x10 cab together. Im looking for the big bottom frequency with all the "dink" and no mid. I play a lot of blues and slap funk stuff and the rig just seems to have too much high end and mids even when you take the mids out. And when I use the boost and jack up the low end it gets too muddy. Im sort of on a limited budget right now so I was trying to get through this season without having to buy something else. Any suggestions?

2. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    I recently got a gk 400RB IV and an avatar 210 neo @ 4 ohms. I play similar styles, I'm a funk and jazz man myself. I keep all my settings flat with the mids boosted slightly and the 5 string button in. boost at 5 and master at 5. From that point i just tweak the settings on my bass and i can get most any sound. The important thing to remember with these amps is that a little goes a long way. So when you jack the bass up, its going to get muddy because its a sensitive amp and boosting the bass to high levels (8-10) is like jacking up the bass on a stereo, if you go too far it will get muddy. I'm not sure if you have the same model, but on mine there is a contour knob and a presence knob. The contour scoops the mids boosting the bass and cutting the treble. The end result is a thumpy "compressed" sound that u might be going for. Lower presence, as this setting brings out the highs. I would say try tweaking other components of your set up. Do you have a tweeter in one (or both) of your cabs? if so, try turning it down. How bout any eq on your bass? fool with that. favor the neck pickup etc...
    Good luck with your tone tweaking

3. overman

overman

Feb 7, 2005
    Thanks for the response. I did some major tone searching last night. I got the best results using my TL6 to dial the rig in. But as my luck would have it, while I was making good progress I found a problem with my eq on the bass itself. So that put an end to the quest for the evening. I will try setting it similar to how you have yours and see what that brings about. Tone is an elusive beast that is certain. I dont have any tweeters in the cabs, and the only eq bass I have is my TL6. I have a Fender Jazz and P bass that are just plain jane sticks with the standard controls. But I am determined to figure this out so off I go again! Thanks again for the advice. I will see how that set up works.