Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 400RB v Hartke HA2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris h, Jul 8, 2002.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    A simple comparison.. I have narrowed my choice down to these two mainly due to financial problems and getting SICK AND TIRED of looking! So what do y'all think of these two? any faves?

Hartke looks good cos of tube preamp and the graphic eq and the GK is tonally sweet and simple.

I really dont know, they are both sweet. Some help?!

Thanks, Chris

2. Easy choice for me...Hartke all the way, but I am partial since I own a 3500, the graphic EQ make hitting that perfect sound easy, and the tube/SS preamps give you that selectable amount of Warmth vs. Edge

3. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    Hartke. i feel they sound better thru hartke cabs, although a bag end 210/15 setup with a hartke head sounds quite nice as well, as im sure some of the guys who were at the TB Philly jam will tell you. personally, i have yet to play a GK ive liked.

4. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    gotta be the voice of dissention- GK is dead simple. Real workhorse sound that blends with anything. Depends on what its driving though.

5. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    GK heads through Hartke cabs are the best Joel! Although I really do love Hartke heads too... now I just need the money to buy this stuff :rolleyes:

6. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    ndjx, you like that combination? ha, this goes to show taste is highly subjective. i played an 800RB thru 2 4.5XLs at a show once(it was a house rig) and i was not impressed one bit. and i love those cabs. then again, i had no headroom, and the monitors didnt handle low end at all. im glad you like them though:)

7. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    So if I used a 400RB III through a 4x10transporter cab rated at 8 ohms, would i get less power?

8. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    You'll get more power than you would when running a HA 2000. Are you talking about the OLD 400RB or new 400RB-III?

9. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I was talking new RB III. But now I have changed my mind. I thought "what the hell, I might as well get the most powerful amp I can- even if it does mean selling my soul".

Ive ordered a HA3500 and 4x10tp. Should see me through!

Cheers, Chris

10. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Should serve you well, I used that setup for a couple years til I got a sweet deal on a Goliath II. The SWR does sound better under the same amp, but both cabs together give a nice balanced sound, probably the best you could do under $1000!

11. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    How big is the difference between the TP and XL cabs? I've only played the XL... I like'm alot! But what's the big difference between the two?

12. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    TP series are hartke's budget cab. lower power handling, lesser frequency response as compared to XLs, cheaper construction. they are lighter however, but thats due to using thinner ply. for anyone who is considering TPs, just go the extra little bit and buy XL, you'll be glad you did. if you like the hartke sound of course.

13. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    my thoughts exactly.. I just went for it.. I was IN THE ZONE! ordered a 4x10bxl cab. Might be broke for months but I will be playing my bass anyway, so I wont have time to eat and drink and all that other stuff..

14. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    awesome, i think you'll be happy with your new rig:)

15. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Cheers for your help, mate.