1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 400RB vs 400RBIII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wushuguy, Apr 17, 2003.

1. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I couldn't find any info regarding these two amps compared to each other. I'm interested in the differences between the two. For those of you who have played both, which did you like better and why?

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Geez - the 400RB hasn't been made in a long, long time.... I have one from the late 70's, early 80's and it's real good amp but I wouldn't even think about buying one of those or really anything else solid state from that far back. I have played around with the recent 400 head stuffed into a 2x10 combo and thought it was a pretty nice amp. Tonally I think they are in the same family. Basically, I don't think they changed the design very much, just updated it to use more modern components.

Repair on older Galliens can be a bit of a problem. I understand that the company was bought and sold a couple of times and there aren't many people left from the old days...

3. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Well no. The company has always been in the control of Bob Gallien. The 400rbIII has more headroom and punch than the older 400. When the 400RBIV hits...Stand back. It's a good one. That's all I know. :)

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That's odd but good news in a way. I recapped and also replaced the power cord a few years ago. The guy in parts that I spoke with basically said they had no parts for the older GK stuff and blamed it on the company having changed hands a couple of times. The stuff I needed to fond was readlily available on the open market so it wasn't much hassle for me. I'm a big fan of that old amp. I really had no right to get the service out of it that I got based on the *care* that I treated it with ... a real workhorse. I'm in the hunt at the moment. Going to move from my BBE / Crown rack to an integrated head. As of the moment Eden and GK are my real focus. Very different tones as I undertand it and I need to audition the Eden to see if it deliveres what 'm looking for.Time and a test drive will tell. Thanks for the news on 'Bob'.

Mal

5. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    When are the new 400RBs coming out? Anyone know?

6. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I hung with 'ol Bobster quite a bit. He never mentioned the buying and selling of GK at all.