Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 400rb vs. Ampeg B2r

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fresnorich, Dec 5, 2004.

1. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I'm sort of looking for a fairly light, reliable, basic amp head. I've heard good things about the pre-1991 GK 400rb (the name graphic is smaller in the pre 1991 models) and the Ampeg seems to have a good rep., so I'm wondering how these two stack up against each other.

I'd really value anyone's opinion who has experience with both. Thanks!

2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i think you can get better amps for not much more money.

3. Well - they will likely put out the same amount of volume when paired w/ the same cabs, so it's more of a sound issue then anything. What type of sound are you looking for? GKs are traditionally known for their clean sound, and also their growl (I think :)) Ampegs are NOT known for having a clean sound (but they are still known for their growl...but it's a different kind of growl then GK). Ampegs are also very well known for their midrange sound. I'd go for the Ampeg personally..but you might want to consider buying used - the Ampeg SVT-3Pro can be had for $450-$600 shipped if you buy used and I think it has a better sound then the B2R. It is a GOOD idea to try these two brands before you decide as they sound VERY different!

4. +1 for GK all the way.

5. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    The GK 400rb is one LOUD little monster. 280 watts is the spec but seems much louder then that to me...The B-2R did nothing for me and I am an ardent Ampeg fan. Brittle sound but that is my ear. I think the GK is hard to beat for the money and would be first on my list if I was going to go solid state. Play both however and good luck with your search. :bassist:

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have an '87 400RB (original owner), had and sold a B2R. Though the Ampeg has a higher wattage rating it's always seemed like the GK is louder. GK is built like a tank inside and out, Ampeg (owned by same company that makes Crate stuff) is considerably flimsier. I just used the GK at a jam a couple weeks ago into a Mesa/Boogie 8 ohm 4x10 cabinet. Drummer had an enormous double bass Ludwig kit, guitarist had Mesa/Boogie Triaxis+ stereo tube power amp and two Marshall 4x12s. I was asked to turn down because I was too loud!

The 'old' GK sound is on the dry and punchy side, which I find useful (I'm mostly playing jazz and Latin, on both upright and bass guitar). Newer GKs are voiced deeper and considerably more powerful. You should be able to find an old 400RB for about $200, old 800RBs are about $325.