1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 400RB vs. Ashdown ABM 300 Evo-II ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by halfmooncaesar, Apr 29, 2010.

1. halfmooncaesar

halfmooncaesar

Apr 28, 2010
    hey guys, new to talkbass and relatively new to the bass in general...i'm a guitarist by trade but recently picked up a bass from a friend. don't have any amplification though, so i'm in the market for a relatively inexpensive rig.

right now the local music store in my town has a GK 400RB head going for $350, and an Ashdown ABM 300 Evo-II for $375, both used.

it's a newer-ish 400RB, with the oval around the name on the faceplate, not the older ones with the horizontal power switch.

what are you guys' opinions? do these sound like good price points for each? i know from snooping around this site that it seems like a consensus is that the ABM 500 is a better choice, but that's definitely out of my price range. is there really a difference from the older 400RBs to the newer ones with the faceplate i mentioned above? (i seem to have gotten this vibe from people to avoid them) both of these amps are right in my wheelhouse in terms of price and availability, so i'm seeking you guys's expert advice. sorry, i know i'm a noob, but i've been searching the internet for relevant advice and haven't really had much luck.

thanks!

2. halfmooncaesar

halfmooncaesar

Apr 28, 2010
    nobody? bump, guys

3. FanOfAlice

FanOfAlice

Nov 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    bring your bass and try both into the cab you intend on using, then you will know. id be leaning towards GK though, awesome customer service and great sound.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I prefer the GK's tone.

Noth would be very useable, but you'll have to try them both to see which sound you like.

5. I haven't tried the Ashdown, but i love my GK 400rb. Amazing head for the price!

6. halfmooncaesar

halfmooncaesar

Apr 28, 2010
    which would you say has more headroom? are these good prices, respectively? also, is there anything to the statement that the newer 400RBs are really inferior to the older models?

thanks, guys!

7. I have an early edition (first or second, im not sure... it's has an attached power cord). It had great headroom... i haven't had to crank the Master or Gain past 1ish on any of my cabs, but i've used it on 2x15s. I use an 8ohm 1x15 or 1x18 for practice, and even then, it's still plenty powerful, but gets pretty dirty the higher it's cranked. The 'Boost' nob lets you dial in some really good growl.

I just picked mine up, used obviously, in January for $75.

I can't comment on the newer models.

8. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    Ya.
    I can't say enough good stuff about the older 400RB's. 800RB too. I too have an attached cord type. Absolutely great amp. Can be had on C-List and eBay all day for way south of $200.
    TheRig.

9. halfmooncaesar

halfmooncaesar

Apr 28, 2010
    sweet rig. so from what i'm getting here, the ashdown is a much better amp at that price. any firsthand experience with the abm 300 evo-II cutting through the mix in a band setting?

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Either would be excellent. I've owned many Ashdowns and many GKs, and neither has ever let me down. I personally prefer the Ashdown sound (flat), as it is slightly more "old school" sounding, but you can't go wrong either way. Bring in your bass and speaker(s) and fire it up...see which one YOU like best !

:)