Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 400RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'm looking for a new combo and I was wondering if you guys have played the GK 400rb/210-II, the 280 watt version. I played one for a few minutes and loved its tone, but I wanted some opinions of people who knows what they're talking about and have played it so I turn to my fellow bassists. Can the 2 tens handle a B fairly well? Is it easy to hook an extension 1x15 or 4x10 to?? Anything you can say would be really helpful, thanks guys.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    if i remember rightly the amp has a push button switch that sets it to some sort of "low b" mode, so i guess thatll be ok.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I actually just got to try the first generation GK 400RB-210 today with a Warwick Thumb 5. That is the punchiest combo I'v ever tried. The sound is clear as the air I felt blowing against my face. I slapped and plucked the B string as hard as I could, digging into it a good bit and it did not distort or flail at all. Go for this combo. If you wanted more punch, you could add a 115SBX. this is the reason I love all Gallien Kruegers.

~Patrick

4. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Who makes that 115 SBX? I just figured I'd eventually pick up a 4x10 to create the vaunted 6x10 SWR fans always rave about. Which begs the question, why bother with a 4x10 when you already have 2 tens and could get a 15 for some boom and dirt?

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The SBX Cabinet series are Gallien-Krueger's new cabs. I haven't been abel to try them yet, but many tell me they like them more than GK's RBH (their high end cabs). I used to own an SWR Goliath Sr and I can tell you GK handles low B's better than SWR. The SWR would begin to distort easily with lower frequencies, while my 410RBH reproduces the sound chrystal clear. If you want something for a 5, look into a 115. I'm so in love with GK right now.

~Patrick

6. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Is there much point in adding an extension to a combo amp or would I just be better off getting a separate head and cab? I like combos cuz they're portable and easy, but I'm not old enough or small enough to to have to worry about weight luckily. Also, is 280 watts of solid state enough to bother with an extension cab or is it just not enough power to push 2 10's and a 15 or else 6 10's? I'm replacing a 100 watt Ampeg so I've never really thought about this stuff before.... Thanks Pat.

Ralph

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    If you want more power, add the extension cabinet. The 400RB-210 puts out 180 watts alone, and 280 with an extension cabinet. Its enough power for small gigs with the combo alone. I'd reccomend the combo. They're more compact and you don't have to worry about taking you stack everywhere. If you want the same sound you get out the combo, but louder, add a 4x10, if you want a fuller and boomier sound, add the 1x15. It all depends on what you want, but Musicians Friend had a deal on the 410RB-210 and 115SBX not too long ago, both for $999. But whatever you do, I'd stick with GK if I were you. No makes better amps. And you know what everyone says: "Flea can't be wrong":bassist:

~Patrick:ninja: :hyper:

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I used to have a 400RBII 1x15 combo. It was great for small venues such as a bar or smallish club. By chance I stumbled upon a 1x15 RBH cab new for $400 and change. both pieces together didn't sound bad at all at a moderate volume but when you cranked them it was underpowered. I traded in the 400RBIII combo and got a 1001RB 2x10 combo to fill all my needs. The 400RB is a Great amp. :hyper:

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The 400rb combo's are powered by GK's 400rb head. The combo alone only pushes 8 ohms. To get the full 280w rating, you HAVE to add and 8ohm extension cab,, to drop over all resistance to 4 ohms...

10. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    If you play loud rock the 400RB/210 combo probably isn't going to be enough volume for you. 10's can easily handle a low B and can sound tighter than a 15. If weight is not a factor, get a 4-10 cab and the GK 700 or 1000 head and you should have plenty of power and volume to cover most situations.

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    This is 100% correct, I owned one and sold because it didn't have enough power. If you like the GK sound at least get a GK 700, but a GK1000 would be the most flexable.

12. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Sadly those things are all for post college incomes because I am one poor man who's basically going all out for this amp which, thanks to all you guys, I'm now 100% sure I'm gonna pick up. Eventually I'll pick up a more powerful GK amp, but until then the 400 will have to make do. Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it. And you're right, Flea cannot be wrong, he's a god!!