Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gk-400rb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phunky345, Aug 9, 2000.

1. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    Yo. Has anybody here played through a gk 400rb(the newer model)? I hear that their 240-watt rating is way louder than even a 350-watt hartke. At the gk website they say they use "toroids" in their power sections. What are these? Is it true how loud this head is per wattage? Does it just handle being cranked higher better? I was just wondering, because I've seen these things for only 200 on ebay and stuff.
    thanks,
    Kyle
    http://yogurt_god.tripod.com

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    First things first...don't get fooled by stated wattage. Dangerous game to get involved in that! Wattage, while having a lot to do with the power behind an amp, is not nearly as directly related to an amp's loudness as you might think. For example, you need to double the wattage of an amplifier just to hear a 10 db increase in volume. And, that ain't all that much!

I don't know what torroids are. All I'd recommend is that if a company is hyping it's wattage or something else, they're probably trying to cover up for something else. Let the tone and volume stand on their own! Anything else is just a waste of money, even for a mere $200!

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    A toroid is a type of transformer. It's supposed to be lighter in weight and induce less hum into your pickups than standard transformers. Though, as GK states, it also adds to the cost of the amp.

RAM is right about the wattage game---it's a bad one to get caught up in.

Sorry, haven't played any GK gear at all yet.

4. >RAM is right about the wattage game---it's a bad one to get caught up in

I agree with that. The actual loudness of a system depends a lot on speakers and cabinet design. I've heard 130w amps that sounded much louder that 200w amps because they were going through better speaker cabs...

John

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I like GK amps-I have owned a 200 MB combo and the old style 400RB. Both served me well-a friend now owns the 400RB and it works well after 12 years. GK amps are portable and sound good, while not being too expensive. HOWEVER-I have seen horror stories about their recent amps (2000RB, 1000RB, 700 RB, and 400RBIII) on this site and on Harmony CEntral. Stories involving brand new amps burning up and taking 2 months to repair with unanswered service e-mails. So watch out...

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'll second this opinion...I own the 200mb, and have had it for about 15 years. It's been relatively problem free, except for a blown speaker 11 years ago. That was a nightmare. The repair shop told me that GK used specialized parts that were difficult to get from anywhere except the GK factory. It took 3-4 months to get the thing fixed! I had all but given up and actually bought a different amp. I don't have that amp anymore, and still own the GK, which I'm generally pretty happy with. But, I'd consider dumping it outright if I'm faced with another repair problem. Good thing I have a "real" amp nowadays!!! (My EBS Fafner, which I'm quite happy to own, by the way...shameless plug!!!)

7. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I recently purchased a used gk 400rb-III head and it seems plenty loud and reliable so far. I got a great deal on it and it's easy to dial in some great tones. I used to have an swr350 amp and the gk seems just as loud, if not louder, running at 4 ohms. I think they are great for gigging at small to medium clubs and are a great bang for the buck..

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I have a 1001RB and I have had no problems with it. I should also note that most of the problems people have had with GKs pertain to the 1000RB and 2000RB, both of which are no longer made.

9. I own a GK 400RB-III combo with a 15" speaker. I love it b/c it's my first amp that has a decent power rating. It does well getting the sound of my bass over a Fender Stage 160 guitar amp, and a another 100 watt guitar amp. I don't know what kind of power you're looking for. But for me, it does the job just fine, unless I need to up the power for some reason in the future. :D

10. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I have owned 2 800RB's(one was hit by a car that came through the wall of the club I was playing in and that was 10 years ago and it still works today) bothe were great and regretted selling them. Same with the 400RB I owned. I now own a GK 1001RB 210 Combo. I love it and have no problems with it at all. I also use a GK 700RB 210 Combo in the US Army Band that I play in and it is also a great sounding, reliable amp. :D

11. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Very true!
    Just one correction:
    double wattage = +3dB = 'one step louder'
    10 fold wattage =+10dB = double perceived volume

and an addition:
    Perceived volume also depends very much on the frequency response. Amps are 'voiced' differently by the manufacturers: an amp with emphasized mids will sound louder than one with neutral or attenuated midrange - you can also try this out by fiddling with your EQ...

12. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    OK if you really want to blow your mind try a 100 watt solid state amp next to a 100 watt tube amp...

13. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    I ended up buying a mid-90's GK 400rb-II (not III) back in october. I posted this thread back in early August. At 75% the rated wattage of my other head, an Ampeg B2R, this amp is louder than the Ampeg, and sounds better when pushed hard. It distorts easier as far as gain/volume knob positions, but they don't need to be turned nearly as far clockwise to get really loud. The tone is very ballsy, with lots of low mid in my sound, and it sounds really good with the gain and boost up a bit, and my Boss Super Overdrive turned on. So...I like it, and it was only $190! I would recommend it to anyone not powering an 8x10 and a 2x15 on one head.