Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 400RB3 vs Tech21 Landmark 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dace, Aug 14, 2003.

1. dace

dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    i've narrowed down my choice for a new amp head down to two:

Rig 1) a Gallien Krueger 400RB3 + a Tech 21 Sansamp RBI + a pair of line switchers to try combine the two into a "two-channel" amp that can have both "channels" running simultaneously.

Rig 2) a Tech 21 Sansamp Landmark 300 + the footswitch to allow both channels to be activate simultaneously.

i suspect that rig 1 is more versatile & flexible, but rig 2 would produce better tone. i'm guessing that both are fairly reliable.

hmmm...i also think rig 1 might be too complex and more trouble than its worth. the landmark worries me because its not that versatile; its only useful for producing dirty tones.

which one should i chose?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've heard the Landmark300 with the tech 21 410 cabinet and the sound, when properly set, was incredibly heavy and thick with very smooth midrange. It made me wish that I could buy the preamp of the 300 right then and there! what was the competition? RBI/yamahacp2000/edenXST410 and the tech21 rig was MUCH MUCH BETTER!!!

The more and more I use tech21 stuff the more sold out on them I become. I even gave my friend $200 towards the Trademark60 amp I love the sound that much!!

If I could make a suggestion, get the 600 instead!!

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This would be a tough one for me - I like both signature sounds!

I would lean to the T21, however. I miss my RBI some days, and I really do like my LM 60.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Think I'd be going the GK route. Road worthy, proven. The T21 heads don;t have much of a track record yet. The GK stuff is also clean 'n' clear enough that the SADB or the RBI would work nicely in conjunction. Racked up, the GK & RBI would be a pretty much 'bomb proof' rig...

5. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Go with the GK and a SA BDDI. You can blend the tones with the BDDI (sort of like running two channels) and would have mucho versitility. Not too pricey, either.

6. dace

dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    thanks for the advice guys.

as tempting as the landmark sounds, i think i might go for the gk + rbi. it would cover just about all the tones i need.

i guess i'll get the landmark later.

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    DACE,
    trust me the landmark sounded better than just the RBI. The landmark is a RBI AND an acoustic DI (rackmount) in the same box. I like the sound so much I've been considering getting the Acoustic DI to compliment my RBI AND I asked tech21 if they had any plans for a non-amped version of the Landmark and they said "no". At least listen to it again.