1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 410 GLX Goldline

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ACalbass, Dec 16, 2011.

1. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    I understand this is an 8 ohms cab.
    Getting one tomorrow,and wondering if anyone was able to reconfigure it for 4 ohms.
    If was done,how does it perform?
    While for many people would be no reason to do it,I assume someone needed to do it at some point.

Also,are they good cabs that perform to the stated specs?

2. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
  3. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    just hook it up and enjoy it. It should sound fine at 8 ohms.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 cannot be done, and better, no reason to do it.

5. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    Thank guys for the tips.
    It looks like wont be an issue in case I end up also getting an GK MB500,since it could feed two of this cabs with ease.

Now I am looking for some references,is someone using this combo MB500/410 Goldline and how is working for you?

Just in case,for the second cab,would it be adding some extra features using a different cab like a 2x12 or a 1x15?

I think I will officially be part of the GK club right this weekend,if all goes through ok.

6. No, it is always (technically anyways) best to match speaker sizes. I can't go deep into the technical stuff of it all, but simply enough when you mix a 410 with a 115, the 115 will be the weak link of the rig. Despite the idea that a lot of people seem to have that the 115 will give you the lows and the 410 more mids and highs, the 115 will be seriously stressed when competing with a 410 cab. Say you have a 400 W head at 4 ohms going into an 8 ohm 410 and 8 ohm 115, the 410 will have each individual speaker receiving 50W whereas the 115s single speaker will be receiving all 200W. It's only logical that this will strain your speaker, and leave it prone to blowing and other problems.

7. I used a GK goldline 4-10 for about 5 years. Just recently upgraded to fEarful 15/6. I got very good sound out of that cab. Actually, I beat the piss out of it. I ran a Trace Elliot GPX12 pre with a Carvin DCM1000 power amp bridged for 700 watts @ 8 ohms. Next amp was a Carvin R1000- same specs. Worked very well for me. I eventually cracked (!) one of the aluminum cone drivers. I took it out and fixed it with JB weld. Good as new. This cab can handle quite a bit more power than rated. You might be better off with more amp, as a good clean signal is better for the cab than a clipped signal from an amp that hasn't got enough steam to get it done. Not knockin the MB500. If that will get it done for you, then I've heard it sounds great. I also tried mine out originally with a 1001rb. That amp was also very nice with this cab. If you want more, go with a second 4-10. You'll get more out of it, and if you decide to sell it, it will be easier to sell.

8. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    Thanks again,guys
    I was really thinking on a MB500 because I can get one at $369.
    I love those GK's since the 80's.
    I really thought it was loud enough,at least is power rated a little higher than a 700RB (at 470 watts),no?
    I,of course,like the idea to run an amp where 500 watts is half way,than to run it at max volume to deliver the same.
    But was thinking on options,like a 2001RB would get dual 520 watts on 2 ohms,would make about 300watts or less on this cabinet 8 ohms,less than the MB500,the 800RB would make 300 watts on this cabinet,and no options to go higher with 4 ohms as the MB500.
    Now,I MB800 would be nice,but will double the price I am paying for the MB500,actually.
    Is it possible to get a 700W/1000W decent head for under $400?

9. 500W at 4 ohms seems to be what most people are using these days. Remember, a 500W amp running through 2 (if you get a 2nd) 410s well be moving A LOT of air. Speaker area can count for as much if not more than watt ratings themselves, remember, SVTs are only 300W but kill through 810s and a lot of larger cabs!

$369 is a sweet price for an MB500, and if you're serious about getting a second 410 it'll leave you some cash to spare on that. Remember, with a second 410GLX you'll be lugging around 180 lbs worth of cab. You could also consider sticking GK but moving to their lighter 410 MBE which is seriously light at 41 lbs and can be found at good prices used. If you stick with your GLX x2, the featherweight MB series heads will be a relief after transporting those bad boys!