1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 410 NEO vs Avatar 410 Neo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Apr 2, 2013.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    What is my best option to pair with a SVT-CL and and Ampeg 410? Looking for a traditional rock sound with good lows & mids.

2. Which Ampeg 410 do you already have?

If it is the 410he, then I would recommend you add a second one of those. Additionally your amp really prefers to be run at 4 Ohms so this additional 410he makes a lot of sense.

If you have the 410HLF I wouldnt recommend pairing either the GK or avatar, as they will have very different voicings. Which isnt to say you couldnt have great results with the GK or avatar as a stand alone cab, I just dont see anything pairing well with the HLF.

3. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    It's an older HEN model cabinet.

4. Im not familiar with the specs on that cab. 4 or 8 Ohm, sealed or ported?

In any case, do you like the tone you get from that cab on its own?

5. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Not especially excited with what I'm getting but to be honest I have been running it at 8ohm with just that cab. Looking to add a cabinet to remedy that problem and get it to 4ohm. This could be effecting what I'm hearing. It's sealed I believe, not ported.

6. If you dont like what you are getting out of your current cab, I dont recommend you add a cab to it. Its a crap shoot as to how the combo will appeal to you.

What I do think you should do is take your bass and amp down to a couple of music stores, and go play through all the cabs they have there. You may or may not find something you like, but it will give you some perspective on what you like.

I have my personal preferences for tone, but they may not be what you like, so my recommendation of a cab might be useless to you, or it may be exactly what you want.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you don't like the current cab, sell it or trade it for a 4 ohm cab that you do like. Just don't run that SVT @ 8 ohms anymore. And don't try mixing 2 different 8 ohm cabs just to get to the 4 ohm load. The chance of 2 differently designed 4x10's sounding good together are rather slim.

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The GK410 Neo is a ported cab, which I'm sure will sound totally different than what you already have. I had one paired with a GK 410 SBX Plus, which is a sealed cab, They didn't work well together. I wound up buying a second Neo and a second SBX plus, and after a while I sold the SBX cabs. The GK Neo cabs are great, but I don't imagine they will work well with what you already have.

I know nothing about the Avatar.

9. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    The problem I am up against is this... I don't own the HEN cabinet, just borrowing it. So, I can't sell it.

My plan was to buy a cabinet that will solve my impedance problem, and eventually down the line buy another matched cab. So, the situation for now wouldn't be ideal until I can later buy a matched cabinet. I was hoping for not ideal, but usable for a while... looking for a decent match, but I get that it's tough to know what kind of matched sound I'll get.

From what you all are telling me, maybe I should just get a 4ohm 6x10 or 8x10 now and be done with this.

10. I just cant tell you what will pair well to your ear with a cab you already dont like the sound of.

Best bet is to take what you are using down and try different combos. Even then I think you will have better results starting with a cab you DO like.

11. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I have been forced to play through that GK 410 Neo a few times (provided backline) and think it is awful. Boxy mids, not much lows or SPL and the same crappy tweeter as in most bass cabs. I am not the biggest fan of the sealed Ampeg SVT-410 HE(N) but in my book it is a better speaker than the GK for most users and applications. Better voicing and more consistent performance.

12. Depending on your gigging needs and personal preference, I would suggest getting a 4 ohm 410. I have an Ampeg SVT410HLF and an Avatar B410 neo. Both are 4 ohm cabs. Both great stand alone cabs. I like both for different reasons. I'm not sure if the GK is 4ohm or 8 ohm. Avatar makes 8ohm and 4ohm 410 cabs so make sure you confirm before buying.

13. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Dude, you really need to try stuff out. Otherwise you may drop some money on something you may end up not liking. Cabs sound very different from each other. I found this out first hand not long ago... I took my cab, amp, and bass to a shop to try some different cabs out. I was ready to find something I liked, trade in my cab and add cash. Long story short, I came home with all my same gear. I didn't find anything that I thought was an improvement over what I already had. The only time I will buy a cab without trying it is if it's a smoking deal and I know I can flip it for more if I hate it.

That being said, all cabs will be decent and have some redeeming qualities. If you don't have the time or patience to take your amp and bass to a bunch of places to find "THE ONE" then take an educated guess, it helps to google the model and get an idea of what other players say about em.

Good luck!

14. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I agree, I need to... lots of things have been complicating that lately. Too much to get into, so with that in mind I have been asking the TB community lots of stuff that, I realize, isn't easy to answer. Just trying to gather as much info as possible, and I really appreciate everyone's input.

15. Sounds like the cab you played was defective. The G-K NEO410 is bottom heavy and slightly mid scooped the EXACT opposite of the cab you played through! In fact sounds like the speakers in the cab are out of phase with each other, maybe due to a hack replacing speakers.

16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Whoa, idk what he was taking about with that neo. I have and use a Neo 410 on the regular. It can literally shake the pictures off the walls in my place if I bump it up high enough. So to say that there is no low end is wrong IMO. It's like B said, I think he got a faulty cab there. I push my neo with the GK 1001 RB II so I'm sure that what comes out of the cab is prone to sounding glorious because they were pretty much made for each other. The low end is very low. But I'm curious because I hear people say that the neo 212 is lower and more refined. I'll probably get one someday. The mids punch me in the face on the 410 and the high are crisp. It has a lot to do with my rig and EQ though. But I'm very happy with my GK stuff. It's helping me get the tone/sound I've been desiring for years. I also had an SBX plus paired with this cab and it sounded like horse doo doo. But I think that the cab was wired wrong. I bought it used and took it back several times before I got it back the last time and it still didn't work correctly. I washed my hands of it. If I were to add to my existing rig, id probably get another neo 410. Or a 212 if not combined but for a stay at home/practice rig.

17. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    I would say considering your situation to get an Avatar. I base this solely on the fact that my second favorite cab (recently replaced by my new LDS) and it's a great cab to start building up your own stack.

As far as them sounding good together, it's a krappenshuetz. Especially in your situation, you're looking for a safe way to operate your amp, so you might have to sort of live with any mis-matching until you can find something more permanent.