1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 410MBE??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Who's got one, and what can you tell me about it? Can I get a slammin', thundering bottom end out of it? I've been using 3015s in single boxes, and am afraid I may have become spoiled. Maybe I'm too old-school, low-end farty and sluggish for this new idea? Is the sealed 410 going to be too tight, too controlled, too mids-present?

Am I going to die of modern smooth-jazz-ism?...

2. oh my. why on earth do you want to ditch two 3015 loaded 115s? who made the cabs and is there something wrong with them?

3. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    This is the kind of response I thought I might get! I post because I'm having a real visceral balk over the idea... I'm probably going to pull everything and piss a couple people off!

I live in a place where logistics for moving gear at 3 in the a.m. are relatively poor, especially in winter. I would like to have a single, lighter enclosure that would be as good as my two (not really so heavy or difficult, but bulky and ergonomically an issue for me) single 15s.

I have a chronic nerve thing from shoulder to wrist, and a condition called 'peripheral neuropathy' which is somewhat degenerative, and am trying to not get into unnecessary strain on wrists and other joints. I'm doing a Kung-Fu thing once a week, and some of those exercises are really helpful! But some other things, like the way the handles are situated on these cabs, don't help... and they're more of a project than I want to get into, to move them around.

So I just thought it less hassle and possibly an ok move to snag up a GK cab in lieu of these. Money's tight, so this thought of what is effectively a swap... I'm going to be very easily talked out of it I guess! I'm probably trying too hard for a simple solution. I do worry about losing a sound I've grown accustomed to and like quite a lot!

4. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I am reminded of an episode on the Andy Griffith Show, where Sheriff Taylor talks a guy out of lying in wait to shoot someone he's mad at. You know, the show's set in a small town with some hillbilly fringe as a running feature of the plot... anyway, after Sheriff Taylor talks him out of it, sort of out-smarting the shooter-to-be, the guy thanks him. Taylor says to him, "Oh, I didn't do anything _____, I just helped you listen to yourself."

Joe, I appreciate your helping me listen to my own better sense. Much appreciated. The cabs remain. I'll pick up that GK cab some other way!

5. Yeah, I’d keep the 115s and get the 410 without ditching the 115s.

6. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Working that idea, ayup.