Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 410RBH Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gregory, Dec 15, 2003.

1. If anyone has any reasons why I should NOT get this, as the first piece to my dream rig please tell me within' the next few days!

Comments both good and bad encouraged. Thanks.

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I tried the RBH cabs with my 700rb. They sounded kind of dry and hollow. Not a lot of body. They may sound different 20 feet away, however. I think GK realizes this, as they have introduced a new line of sealed box cabs, called the SBX. In hi-fi land, sealed box (or infinite baffle) boxes usually have fuller bass sound than ported systems. Ported systems are more efficient, however. Anyway, I would wait to hear the SBX cabs before I bought the RBH. They are less expensive, too.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Could it be the you sent less than 300 watts @8 ohms to that cab which is rated at 800 watts @ 8 ohms? You are not even warming that cab up with a 700RB head! That head just lacks the headroom needed for that cab. They made that sbx cab because there was no 400 watt 4x10 8 ohm cab from GK. the older RBS 4x10 cab was only 200 watts.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Man, get that shiz. I got rid of my SWR Goliath Sr for this thing. Dry? Yeah right. This is easily the punchiest cab I've ever tried. The highs are chrystal clear with a tight low end. I'm pumping 210 with my Peavey, but thats enough to bring out the character of it.

What would be your dream rig?

~Patrick

5. Well I'm pretty new to it all... so I will be realizing my dream rig as I go along. For right now I'm pretty sure I want GK RBH410 and RBH115. Not sure about what head and all that.

6. I just want to be sure that what I get will last me for a very long time. I don't have a problem with saving up for awhile to get what I want but I need to make sure it IS what I want. Know what I mean? No real disposable income here, it all has to count.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Gregory,
    try the newer 1001RBII head. it's 700 watts@ 4 ohms. That 4x10 RBH bottom will probably take anything you throw at it and smile, along with the 1x15 RBH cab you will be felt! The main thing to remember is you will need some wattage to go with those two cabs.

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Look into the 2001RB if you want something you'll never have to worry about upgrading. You know what they say, "Flea can't be wrong." But and GK will fill your needs.

~Patrick

9. The ONLY thing I don't like about that cab is its weight and the design is a little bulky. Its fine if you have an SUV or a truck, but doesn't fit in most smaller cars. Otherwise feed it lots of watts and its will give you lots of tones and power.

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    After owning an SWR Goliath Sr, this thing is so much more portable. The casters really help.

11. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I've owned/played almost every cab in the SWR line(Goliath 2,3,JR.3,SR.,S.O.B.,Henry,Big Ben and Triad)as well as assorted Eden,Ampeg,Hartke and Peavey cabs.I can honestly say that IMO nothing comes close to my GK RBH410.It's way more portable than the bigger SWR cabs and just as loud.Paired with my 2001RB and Stingray5,it can handle prety much anything.If more people actually tried the GK cabs for themselves instead of going by what some other guy said/posted(who probably didn't play them either)I think that they would be surprised at how good they are.:bassist:Oh Yeah,it fits in my Honda Civic hatchback just fine.

12. Thanks for all the great feedback everyone.

13. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I used the 410RBH for awhile and found it lacking in many areas. I use a lot of solo wah accents in the music I am playing now and the damn thing would freak on the highs, even with the tweeter off. I didn't like what it did to the mids either, kinda muddy.

IMHO, The cab sounds ok, but for the price I would look elsewhere. FYI, I have gotten a couple of Eden 410xlt's and they handle anything I through at them, cleanly.

ALSO, I would stay away from the 2001RB until they fix the noise issues. It has horrible hiss issues. I have a 2000RB that sounds way better and no hiss, not to mention it has a boost channel. The overdrive channel sucks, no mid control.

GOOD LUCK

14. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I have no hiss at all with my 2001RB.When using the overdrive channel all of the tone controls on the clean channel are still usable,so you still have control over your midrange.....

15. Hi guys. Glad to hear you guys are enjoying the gear. Just a bit of info.

RBH cab tone is meant to be big, punchy and loud
    Users are Flea, Duff McKagan, lots of rock bands like it. Lots of church guys seem to dig the tiltback feature.

SBX cab tone is meant to be tight, warm and controlled. Users are Jimmy Earl, Dewayne Pate with Robben Ford. seems to appeal to blues and session guys. In the hip hop market, Barry Hinton with Tre' Hardson just picked up a set of these too.

Bob Gallien realized that one cabinet design does not answer everyone's needs. I suggest if you if you don't care for one, definitely try the other.

16. I've been told that GK cabs are no good, because their speakers have so much response that they cana ctually hit the grill, and damage the speaker.

Just what I've heard, not actually tested. For me, I ended up with a BagEnd Q10BX-D.

17. I've never once heard of that actually happening. No one has ever complained about that before.

18. That cabinet does move the speakers alot, but the grill is physically beyond the excursion of the cone, unless the grill got bent.

19. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I love mine. I've got the 410RBH, and the 210RBH.
    The 410 does need alot of power to get it moving. But, once it does, it's the sound I was looking for.

It weighs 92lbs. Get the casters.