Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 410RBH Trouble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rumblinbass, Aug 26, 2003.

1. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I was practicing w/ my band last night to get ready for a gig tonight. I was tweaking my amp when all of a sudden a saw a white flash come from inside the cabinet. It still works, as far as I can tell it sounds the same except at high volumes it tends to distort excesively.

I use a 700RB head and an Aguilar DB924 outboard preamp. I was tweaking both of them to get a tone I could finally settle on. I turned up the preamp until I was clipping and then brought it down a notch. I had the amplifier gain and woofer at about 3:00 (3/4) and volume at about 9:00 (1/4)...so I was crankin pretty good. I was doing some final tweaking when I saw the flash.

I haven't had time to do any investigating, like I said it still works. I know I blew something I'm just not sure what. Any ideas?

2. I'm not sure about the GK cabinets but my Acme Low B-4 has a small car light bulb (1156) wired into the crossover to protect the mid and high drivers. Maybe the GK uses a similar approach (light bulb acting as a "slow" fuse). Pull your top right speaker and take a look inside. You can buy a package of two of those light bulbs at ANY store for about $1.50 so it might be a really cheap fix. Let us know what you find.:)

3. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    That's kind of what I thought. I knew I couldn't have done anything extremely bad because it still works. I figured I must have done something to the tweeter, I just hope that it was the crossover or something.

I won't be able to get to it tonight...I have a gig. Probably tomorrow.

Thanks for the response.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I was also gigging last week using my 1001rb for the first time. I was using a 1x15 RBH cab with my combo (all GK) and was told by my wife at the end of the show that the 1x15 cab did light up around the tweeter a few times. I saw a couple of minutes of footage and it did flash two or three times. The cab still works fine so I would also know what causes this.

5. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I should be able to take a look at it in a day or two. I am a Design Engineer for a small Electrical Engineering firm so I have all the tools to do this after hours.

So you have the 1001RB combo w/ 2x10's and the 115RBH? I really wish I would have gone with that setup. I have the 410RBH, it's a great rig, but the 10's don't get the low freg's that a 15 would. Not to mention the extra headroom from the 1001RB...that would be nice.

The deal I got on my rig was just too good to pass up.

6. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    It's the light bulb in the cabs. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Mine would flash from time and time and nothing bad ever came of it. That's 5 years of flash I'm talking about. Just play. The bulb will go before you do anything heinous to the crossover or what not.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yeah Rumblinbass I have the 1001RB combo with the 1x15RBH cab. I did originally ordered the 1001RBII but it got lost in shipping so I cancelled and got the 1001RB combo. I still learning how to tweek it so of course I was a tad worried when I saw the flash. I also used a speakon cable (sales person told me it was the right one) but didn't hear the tweeter in bi-amp mode while playing so I thought that could have been the problem. Does the speakon cable have to be a GK speakon cable?

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Bumpsky

9. I'm no expert on GK, but I believe that the tweeter will not work in bi-amp mode unless you use 4 conductor speakon cable. If you are using 2 core cable the tweeter will not work. Also, the light flashing in the cabs is caused by the bulb dissipating high voltage peaks, which would otherwise damage your tweeter. If the light blows, then your tweeter will not work till it is replaced.

I think I've got it right. :)

10. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Pyrohr,

No, speakon cables are standard, just like any guitar or speaker cable...if GK provided one with your amp it's the same as any other speakon. I use regular speaker cable on mine.

I don't think the tweeter only works with the speakon because when I saw the flash I was using a standard speaker cable.

11. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You need a 4 conductor speaker to use the internal biamp. Make sure it isn't a mono cable because you will blow up your head.

I have the 115RBH and 1001 2x10 combo as well. Really sweet setup. Since I have purchased my in ear monitors, I haven't really used it though. Maybe we can work something out. DO you have any good PA equipment!

Later,
    Wes

12. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    No, sure don't. I plan on getting some eventually, but don't have any right now.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Speakon connectors are all the same, but how they are wired may differ. Example, my old GK 2000RB, needed to have the speakon wired a certain way for bridged operation, which was different for non-bridged operation. I'm not certain, but I BELIEVE that the bi-amp setup with the newer GK heads and cabs require a FOUR conductor cable instead of the standard two conductor cable, and uses ALL FOUR of the connections within the speakon connector itself. Check the manual!

14. HI guys, I've been travelling a bit lately, but I'm back in the office now. The flashing is indeed the light bulb draining off peak voltage. Check to see if your tweeter is working. If not, then replace the bulb. It's on the crossover plate. It's a 12v 15w bulb. You can probably find one at an auto parts store.

You do need a 4 conductor speakon cable to run in biamp mode. If you had a standard speakon and the tweeter was working, then you had the speaker set to Full Range, not biamp.

15. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Oh...well that makes sense...I do have it set on full range. I really need to get the owners manual for this thing.

How can I check the tweeter?

16. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Wait a minute...sorry, that was a stupid question. Nevermind.

Thanks for your help! Really appreciated!:D

17. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I use a standand 4 conductor speakon cable to run my extension cab. You can use any 4 conductor speakon cable.