1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gk 410sbx vs gk115rbh

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rutkn, Mar 22, 2006.

1. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    Hi

Im planning to buy a gk1001rb ll. I am either planning to get the rbh115 or 410sbx, i would love the 410rbh but it is way too much. I am thinking of buying the rbh115 and save up for the rbh410 in the future. Or should i buy the 410 sbx. I am playing a musicman stingray and do love to slap. What cab would be better for me and can some tell me the difference between the rbh and sbx series.

Thanks in advance

2. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I can't speak to the GK series specifically, but I will say that you're likely to get better slap tone from a 4x10 than a 1x15. I had the 800RB going into a 15, and it sounded great, but my slap tone was never what I would consider good.

Just my thoughts.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have most of this rig you speak of here. the 1001RBII 2x10 combo, 1x15RBH cab. i would also like to know who plays with a 1001RBII,1x15RBH and a 4x10SBX cab. How well does the SBX cab handle the lows with the 1001RBII head? Are the lows lows or low mids? As far as the 1x15 or any GK cab they all can handle the thump and pop stuff because they are "fast" cabs. I can do gigs with my 1x15RBH cab anytime, it doesn't matter that it's a 15.

Gospel Bass Player likes this.
  4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you can't afford a high quality 4x10, you could look at a high quality 2x10, then when you get more money you can buy a second 2x10 or a 1x15 depending on what kind of sound you want.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For what you're looking to do, I'd recommend the 115RBH right away, although I do prefer the SBX series cabs for slap playing. They're punchier cabs due to being mostly sealed. If you're looking to one day get the full stack, don't start off buying a 410 you'll only replace, because there's money to be lost that way.

6. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    +1

I've got the 1001RB-II with a 115-RBH. You'll be good to go with that in a small to medium venue, especially if there's any PA support then you're really set. Just wait 'til you have the funds to add the 410-RBH later.

As for tone, the 115RBH really can get quite bright and punch if you need it. Slap tone from my Lakland 44-01 through this rig has been great. It's all good!

Cheers and good luck
    Hammer

Gospel Bass Player likes this.
  7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    In my honest opinion, I'd say keep looking. I have owned both cabs and used them with a 1001RB-II, and both gave me trouble. The 115RBH had a very bright, sterile tone. I loved using it for the pick playing I did, but eventually, the voice coil gave way, and I had to have it repaired. Then most recently I had the 410SBX. It was a good cab, and sounded great. I think the lows were slightly punchier than the 115RBH, but not by much. It is definetely warmer, and better for slap. But after my recent problems with my 410SBX, I've gotten rid of all my GK gear. At first, I blew a voice coil in my 410SBX. After waiting 5 weeks for the service center to work on it, they did not fix the problem, but GK Customer Service was happy to send me a free replacement speaker. Then just a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the top left speaker had no output and it was moving way more than the other speakers. It turned out to be a poorly connected lead wire. I refused to deal with the service center again, so I'm having to pay out of my own pocket to have the wire resoldered, and once that's finished, I'm selling the cabinet to a friend.

Both cabs sounded great for what they were, but they both gave me a headache. Maybe the Neo series would be the best way to go.