1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 412 neo vs Bag End S15-D & Bag End S15B-D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dark-Gothic-Elf, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Dark-Gothic-Elf

Dark-Gothic-Elf

Nov 12, 2009
    Hi

I'm gonna buy a secondhand GK Fusion 550 head.
    I can buy it from the that person with the Bag End S15-D & Bag End S15B-D these are 15" cabs.

Or I can buy the head seperetly and buy a secondhand GK 412 neo.
    What would be the best combination?

I play a Schecter stiletto studio 5 tuned one step lower.
    thickest string is an A
    I play most of the time Metal, Rock, jamiroquai
    My favorite bass player is Fieldy of korn.
    Some of my Favorite bands:
    Amon Amarth, Fintroll, Arch enemy, Dark Tranquillity, Children of Bodom, Coal Chamber,
    Deth klok, Mnemic, Decapitaded, Tyr, Death Angel,

I hope you guys can advise me.

Greetings Dave.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Do you have the ability to lug the 4X12 around? I hear the GK Neo 412 is pretty sweet.

Bag End S15D's are my main cabs and primarily use GK heads. They sound awesome and work really well. I've never played the Bag End S15B-D though, and I'm not sure that I'd want one. It's huge.

I'd take the S15D and then find another someplace else if it were me.

3. Since BE's are at the same place as the amp, you should go and try them out with the amp and your bass. Play the rig at volume, and see if your tuning and tone matches the speakers. If it doesnt go the 412 and see if it appeals to you better.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    As always, good advice.

I'll add that BE cabs don't necessarily sound all that great in a solo setting, they really shine in a mix. Just something to keep in mind.

5. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    The modular BE 115 cubes vs. the GK fridge 4x12 is one of the more high-contrast (in terms of size, anyway) gear quanrdies I've seen here - lots to consider!

6. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    Was surprised when I saw this, since I own both a GK NEO 412 and both the Bag Ends you're considering. This may be my first post where i actually know what I'm talking about! :hyper::bag::hyper:

First off, these are two fairly radically different choices. The GK, loud, grindy, plenty of low end, a bit too much sometimes, a killer rock band cab. It is large and heavy, close to 95 lbs, but I still find it fairly easy to load in my truck unassisted. I turn 60 years young this year, btw. I really love this cab, despite the size and weight. One of the better "rock" cabs out there, IMHO.

The Bag Ends are an entirely different beast. Very clean and true I think. What tone you put in, that's what comes out! They don't produce tons of deep low end, but they really do shine in a full band mix. The S15d is an amazingly loud cab for it's size, but it's not going to blow the walls out in a club. The S15B-D does help with adding more low end "oomph", but it is large and fairly heavy. Once again, I love both these cabs. I also have a S12D that I couple with the s15d on occasion.

The Bag Ends will give you more options when it comes to gigging different rooms. If it's a small club, the S15d by itself will probably cover the job just fine on it's own. Pair it with the B-D and you're ready for some pretty major volume situations.

It's a tough choice, that's why I own both. I prefer the tone of the BE's most of the time, but in louder rock type situations, I still break out the GK if I'm wanting some really aggressive tone for the night.

BTW, if you shop hard, you can find the BE's sometimes for stupidly cheap prices. I have a total of about $350 in all three of my BE's thanks to getting lucky and finding them priced WAY below value on GC's used website. The S15B-D was only $49.99 with $20 shipping from Cali to Oklahoma.:eek: The other two were priced @ $125 and $149. Absolute steals! I would have paid MUCH more for them and still have been happy. Best of luck on making your decision, both your options are good ones.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    ^^^ I get a fairly aggressive tone out of my Bag Ends, but I basically get that sound out of anything.

Also, a pair of them are incredibly loud and will blow the walls out of a club. They will compete with cabs much larger in size. My band plays pretty loud and I don't get to crack the master past 9:00 in most places.

8. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    I didn't mean to imply the BE's won't growl, they will, without a doubt! They'll also do "clean" very well. There's plenty of volume to be had as well. They're a very versatile cab, which is why i love them.

I guess what I was trying to say is, the GK is more of a rock and roll beast of a cab. To my ears, it does the driving rock tone VERY well. It just doesn't lend itself to all the gigging situations that the Bag Ends can. I'm very happy with both cab configurations. If I had to give up one of them, it would probably be the GK, simply because the BE's can fit in any type of gigging situation I come across.

9. The NEO412 can sound growly on stage in the low end, BUT not out front! It really makes the low end carry smoothly into the room.