1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 700/1001 rb ii into SWR Goliath Senior 610 4 Ohm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Dude Next Door, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Does anyone have experience with this combination? Do they match good? Other thoughts on cabs for getting loud and punchy tone with enough low end?

I am playing 5-String in a Progressive Metal band if this can help.

2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    I have not played my 1001 through a Goliath but can only imagine it being very loud.

I do have a Goliath junior, I should try it out...

The Dude Next Door likes this.
  3. The other thing that worries me a bit is the frequency response -3db @ 55Hz.
    Is this enough for Low B / Drop A?
    Bump.

Horrorble likes this.
  4. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies

Yes, the GK heads kill with SWR 610 and 810 cabs.

You don't need to worry about the cab tuning. Not many cabs can accurately produce the fundamental low B on paper. People rock Ampeg 810s and low tunings all the time; sounds great despite the fact that on paper an Ampeg 810 can't reproduce the low B.

Horrorble and The Dude Next Door like this.
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I used a G-K2000RB head into an SWR Goliath Sr. for many years, and it was a great pairing. And as I recall, the SWR Sr handled my low-B very well. In fact, this setup was one of the very best that I've played through.

6. Thank you for the replies.
    I've read some other threads and can conclude that lots of people on TalkBass give lots of love to a combination of GK xxxx rbii + some GK neo cabs.

Could a 4x12 Neo be an option?
    It seems to be kind of cheaper and have more frequency response.

1200 Watt @ 4Ohm is kunda neat too...

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  7. Haven't tried such a combination but in theory it could result in "death by oomph".

8. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    A Goliath Sr. sounds good with just about any head. I used to own one and played through it with SWR, Hartke and Genz Benz heads. I also let friends in other bands use it at gigs with GK, Ampeg and Mesa Boogie heads. They all sounded great with the pronounced low mids that cab produces. If it wasn't for age and bad shoulder/neck, I would have never sold mine 3 years ago.

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I can't comment on GK's cabinets, but I run a pair of Mesa Powerhouse 212's, and they're fantastic. I power the cabinets with a Crest CA9 in stereo, which I think is 550 watts per cabinet, which seems to be plenty.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021