GK 700 RB enough for 2x12+2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    im piecing together my new rig finally! i won a GK 700 RB off ebay for 260 woot! anyways im wondering if it will be enough to power a GK neo 2x12 and a new GK 2x10 sbx. ive heard that 12's are power hungry. i play in a loud hard rock band. definitely not metal, but definitely not somethin your grandpa would be jammin to. :p
  2. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I don't know the specs on the gk 700 rb. However, if it has the "split" style it should be ok. The split style is when there is 3 speaker options (or more) 2 low's and 1 high. If the 700 RB has that, it should be fine. I would think 2 GK cabs would work fine with a GK head. Also.... for gigging consider just useing a 2x10. I understand its cool to have the full stack. But after 5 months of serious gigging, the 4x10 i have is getting really old really fast. I'd image a 2x12 and a 2x10 would get old as well (if you're gigging alot.)
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Are you buying the cabs or do you already have them? If buying them I'd check into getting a single Neo212 wired in 4ohm configuration, I recall seeing a thrad here about this being an option if you order from GK. You could also get a pair of Neo 112s in 8ohms.

That would probably be adequate by itself without the 210. Adding a 210 onto a 212 with that head would probably be overkill.
  4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I agree. I have both 700RB and 700RB-II heads, and if you have the first generation (which I assume), you definitely want to get the most out of it by running a four ohm load, or at least giving yourself lots of cone area (as with an efficient 4x10). I've never had a problem running the first generation head through my SWR Goliath III 4x10, which is very efficient. But you don't need 2x12 plus 2x10 to get there.

A four ohm Neo212 would be plenty for just about any club gig, but two Neo112s, while more expensive, would give you the option of bringing a single cab to smaller gigs or rehearsals. Some also think that vertical speaker arrays project better. Not sure if the single cab would be enough with the 700RB, but with the 700RB-II and some compression, serious volume is on tap even with a single Neo112.
  5. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    wow no kiddin.... well i prefer to not to run thru the PA as i fine tune several EQ settings for each of my styles and the PA doesnt produce it as accurate as i would like. maybe i should ask if the 2x12+2x10 would be enough to play at a large club with no PA support? i also played with an SWR gol III 4x10 for a few years and didnt mind lugging it around at all so im sure i wont mind 2 smaller cabs.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Do yourself a favor...get used to running your bass thru the PA. It may not reproduce your bass exactly like you want it to, but when you play larger venues, you will have to turn up so loud that nobody can stand to be on the stage with you. Plus 4 speakers is not going to cut it in venues larger than 150 capacity. And I'm not saying this to be offensive, but all these different EQ's you use ultimately get lost in a band setting anyway unless the changes are drastic.

If you don't like the DI sound, you can mic your cabs. But take it from someone who's been there and tried it, not running your bass through the PA is a bad idea unless you're in a small venue.

BTW, I read your tagline. Who's going to play your songs if you don't have talented musicians who don't write songs? Other songwriters usually only care about doing their own songs. I write songs myself and even I find that tagline pretty offensive.
  7. booch

Aug 12, 2004
    What do you mean by "getting old"?

True. To have the bass come from a single position (the stage) at a huge volume or from multiple positions (PA), even just a little bit, makes a lot of difference.

Maybe it's just me but I prefer a quieter stage. It's no use to have extremely loud stages, you'll end up hearing nothing distinctly just a massive wall of noise. And you'll lose your hearing over the time.

Our sound engineer prefers to put the bass out the PA even if the PA volume is hardly turned up a notch and most of the sound comes from my rack. Just gives a fuller feel without the need to kill everybody onstage with your volume.
  8. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    :p i wrote that sig prolly 4 years ago and still kinda stand by it. for example... i would rather have a guitar player who comes up with crazy/wierd/original sounds/tones even if they are really really simple to do over some classical trained guitar player who can shred but doesnt play anything you havent heard before. i apologize if it offends you.

and yes my EQ settings are drastic. i have a setting for tap, slap, big bassy finger, and growly finger. thanx for the input guys, i appreciate it. i just wonder if the 2x12 by itself would have enough mid range for me..... only one way to find out right? :bassist: hey i have the right to be picky about my tone. :smug: